PDA

View Full Version : Hawk wiper switch

64V-K7
11-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Can anyone explain the following?

The Circuit shows the wiper motor wiring as 38A, 38B, 39A and 39B to the switch.
The color legend doesn't mention 38 and 39 A or B, just 38 as yellow to Sw (P) and 39 as green to Sw (A) and 40 as Black to Sw (F)

Conversly, my switch has posts A,B,C, and D.

1) What's the corelation is between the A,B,C,D and the P,A, and F
2) My wiring harness has red, brown, blue and yellow wires, no black or green. Whasssup here?
3) Where does it ge the low speed from?

thx

Roscomacaw
11-24-2006, 02:39 PM
What year Hawk is this in? From the wire colors you say you have, it sounds like a later type wiper motor.:) Which, BTW, is incompatible with the earlier type switch, since low speed is achieved in a different manner if I remember right.

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

64V-K7
11-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Hi Bob,
Yes this car is a real treat.. 64 GT Hawk and it actually has a new wiper motor, but there's been a lot of sausage made under the dash. The wiring appears intact from the motor to the switch, but I haven't checked continuity yet. The switch has the white knob and on the business side, a white with black trailer going to the 5 amp breaker. The out side of the breaker is attached to a blue (A) a red on (C), a brown on (B) and a yellow on (D).
It appears that the P.O. tapped the blue, with another (blue) for some other purpose, so I removed that...

Roscomacaw
11-24-2006, 05:32 PM
I'm confused - because you talk about some "legend" showing yellow, green & black wires. Those colors were used for the earlier style motors and used a differently configured switch as well.
I recently tried to address this in another topic on these forums (recently - might be as much as a year ago!). What I found was that unlike the older motors, where the yellow and green both had to be powered to achieve low speed - these later motors use one wire for high speed and then power another wire (by itself) for low speed. There's actually 3 brushes riding the commutator of the later motors. One's common, and the one that's 180 degrees from it is high speed. The third brush rides about 120 degrees around from the common and when it's powered, the result is a lower speed.
The motor's internally grounded - 2 wires are for the 2 speeds and the other two wires are concerned with the park function. Which color wire is which, I've forgotten.

OOPS! I see where you got that "legend".[:o)] Stude obviously didn't update their wire color legend for the later type motor! Just looked in the shop manual and noticed that.[8] I'll write a note to engineering after the holidays![}:)]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

64V-K7
11-25-2006, 07:29 AM
That's a great start, Bob. Thanks. I'l pull the switch and check function. It may well work fine. Like everything else on this car, however, the first and last time I drove it, was up my driveway and into the garage 6 years ago... whre it decided to fall apart and stay a while..

DilloCrafter
11-25-2006, 09:47 AM
55Prez,

If your Hawk's switch has ABCD terminals, and if the new motor is a 4-wire motor, then there's a very good chance you have the same motor as used in a '63 Lark, which also had a 4-wire wiper motor and a switch (albeit a rocker switch) that used terminals marked ABCD.

If all that is true, then I think I have figured out what you need in terms of a wiring diagram. It doesn't indicate colors of wiring, but it shows what goes where, and what it all does inside the motor.

Here is a repeat of a topic I started on this back in July (that's the one Mr. Biggs recalls, and we determined back then that there were major differences between the way a 3-wire vs. a 4-wire wiper motor is wired - but that's another topic). Anyway, to repeat from that other thread:

I did a web search for "wiper motor wiring" and came up with a well done set of diagrams and explanations for the 12v 4-wire motor in a Triumph TR6! As it turns out, the diagram looked essentially like the guts of the '63 Lark wiper motor, so I printed it and studied it carefully. See this extremely helpful set of diagrams here:
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/wiper-problem.shtml
I looked for a switch that had the same combinations of continuity as in the Triumph diagrams. No luck finding such a switch anywhere.

The next thing to do, which I should have done a long time ago, was to order a NOS wiper switch for a '63 Lark. NOTE: I successfully tested this diagram with the 4-wire motor and the Lark switch, as shown in the diagram.

To record this for posterity, I borrowed the look of the Triumph diagram, and modified it for this 1963 Lark motor and switch, as seen below:

Click image for a larger, printable view
http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/1963LarkWiperMotorAndSwitch-diagram-small.gif (http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/1963LarkWiperMotorAndSwitch-diagram.asp)

Especially note that link to the Triumph site, if you want a really clear step by step explanation (with pictures!) that shows what is happening with the motor at each switch setting.

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon
Deep in the heart of Texas

64V-K7
11-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Wow!, that's excellent, thanks very much. It appears to be exactly my situation.