PDA

View Full Version : Bolt on rear axle for 47-49 Stude champion

tim87114
12-01-2008, 03:41 PM
FYI,
I have found that the mid 90's ford explorers Axle with rear disc brakes will bolt up to the Champion. It too is underhung as the stude.
The rear leaf perches are at 39.5" on center. The width is 1.75 wider than the stock stude axle but you can make that up in backspacing.
NOTE: The emergency brake cable connection is different. You can loop your cable around the ford hook and use a simple Cable clamp to secure, or you can buy a Jeep to ford axle swap kit which will give you the correct ends. As you would expect the u-joint is different so modifications will be needed. The pinion is offset 2.75 inches which is 2" further than the stude. however because the length of the driveline, this does not pose any issues. I have not checked the measurements of the Drum brake style axle for the wheel flange to flange measurements.

I am currently looking at a Front Hub conversion to match the ford axle.

For those wondering why one would do this. Price. Rear pads range from OEM at $29.00 to Ceramic pads at $63.00. Rear rotars are $28.00, calipers are $36.00.
In this case the explorers are easy to find in any salvage yard and the axles are cheap. Parts can be found and are carried by any local auto parts stores.
Yes, you have to buy the axle and most likely replace the calipers, rotors and pads. The axle I have located just had a brake job on the axle. So in this case all the parts are in very good shape.

Lothar
12-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Thats great information, Tim! Keep us posted on how this swap works out. Is it safe to assume that this swap would work on all 1947-52 Champions? What kind of swap do you have in mind for the front hubs?

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
Holdrege NE

michaelb
12-02-2008, 03:03 AM
Hey Tim I have access to a 96 Ford Explorer,had the same idea of swapping out the rearend in my 47 M-5, but have not had the time to check on measurements, any thoughts on how both rearends compare, any thoughts or advise is welcomed. Thanks Mike