Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parts offers from UK...should I be nervous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts offers from UK...should I be nervous?

In my quest for 1937 coupe running boards, rear fenders, and a few other parts I posted a want ad on a web site I came across while surfing the web. All my responses are coming from the UK. I maybe unwittingly posted on a UK studebaker site. The response has been great (many replies) but so far I am very leary of sending any money. Many say they have what I need at a reasonable price but only except western union payment. When I ask for pictures I get pictures of finished cars supposedly being parted out because the motor is bad or I get a picture of wrong brand car.

I have been around the old car hobby many years. I have had some good honest deals and some bad. I just don't know how to sort this out. I thought about telling the seller I can have a pal stop over to inspect the parts and then pay and pick them up. If seller would agree then maybe I could risk sending the money and hope the parts get here safely.

Some offers seem to be believable and others are down right laughable. Anyone here in the US have any experience like this? Thanks Steve

Very, There have been posts like this before. Remember, when a deal seems to good to be true, Well.

Bob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mecutem

In my quest for 1937 coupe running boards, rear fenders, and a few other parts I posted a want ad on a web site I came across while surfing the web. All my responses are coming from the UK. I maybe unwittingly posted on a UK studebaker site. The response has been great (many replies) but so far I am very leary of sending any money. Many say they have what I need at a reasonable price but only except western union payment. When I ask for pictures I get pictures of finished cars supposedly being parted out because the motor is bad or I get a picture of wrong brand car.

I have been around the old car hobby many years. I have had some good honest deals and some bad. I just don't know how to sort this out. I thought about telling the seller I can have a pal stop over to inspect the parts and then pay and pick them up. If seller would agree then maybe I could risk sending the money and hope the parts get here safely.

Some offers seem to be believable and others are down right laughable. Anyone here in the US have any experience like this? Thanks Steve

Yes i got one for C-Cab fiberglass front fenders (something i've yet to findfor my truck). Same thing western union, pictures not available because they were at a wharehouse. But they would try and get them over the weekend.

When i told them i would have a co-worker who lived (something on the something shire) pick them up, pay for them and would take care of the shipping. Please give me details on location and contact numbers. I got a response that a walk in customer had just purchased them. Even E-bay warns against using western union for payments. I think i got tagged because i was sending out of Kazakhstan at the time.

Comment

It is a scam. Don't walk away, RUN!

Richard Quinn
        editor: Antique Studebaker Review
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I put a wanted ad on the Studebaker Swap Page and was immediately contacted by an e-mail from the UK promising quick and cheap delivery. The responder had an English name but it was apparent that English was not his best language and the part I was loooking for could not have been shipped for the cost he was quoting. There are other posts on the forem about this. Definitely a scam.

Don

Comment

I'm gonna invest in some of those UK parts as soon as my lottery winnings get here from Nigeria. That is, if my inheritance doesn't get here first.

Comment

Working...
            X