PDA

View Full Version : '63 6-cyl air cleaner adapter needed

rocinante
11-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Hello folks,
Does anyone have a correct air cleaner-to-carb adapter for the 63 6-cyl they could sell me? My car has the Carter RBS carburetor with a wishbone-shaped air cleaner hold-down, but the air cleaner cannot seat properly directly on top of the carb using this hold down arrangement. I assume I am either missing the adapter or I possibly have the wrong air cleaner. The air cleaner is the dry-type with no intake tube (just an opening in the side). If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Please PM me or email bede63@gmail.com.
Regards,
Charles Schneider
Raynham MA

'53 Champion C-Coupe
'60 Lark VIII
'50 2R5
'63 Lark
'60 Lark VI

Roscomacaw
11-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Charles, there were several types of adaptor like you need. I know SASCO still has one or two types. (800) 722-4295

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1963 Cruiser
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

Dwain G.
11-30-2008, 11:05 PM
There are some '63 air cleaners that use an adapter, but the desciption of yours with no snorkel sounds like the common style that doesn't use an adapter.
Check these dimensions: Air cleaner outside diameter 12 1/2", lid diameter 6 1/4", filter element 6 11/16" O.D. X 4 1/8" I.D. X 3 1/16 height. Fram CA102PL filter.

[IMG]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff195/DwainG/champdoug.jpg[img]
Dwain G.

rocinante
12-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Dwain and Bob,
Thanks for the response. My air cleaner fits the dimensions you provided, Dwain. The problem seems to be that it will not sit upon the carburetor without portions of the air cleaner body coming in contact with portions of the carburetor, primarily the choke housing. As stated originally, there is a wishbone-shaped retainer with a threaded end that fits into two notches in opposite sides of the carb intake neck. The presence of the wishbone suggests along with the fact that the aircleaner will not sit tightly against the carb neck leads me to suspect that perhaps I might have the wrong air cleaner. Any other thoughts or assistance from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Charles Schneider

'53 Champion C-Coupe
'60 Lark VIII
'50 2R5
'63 Lark
'60 Lark VI

Tom B
12-03-2008, 11:26 PM
If I remember correctly, there was a cylinder of steel that sat on the carb, over the wishbone, and the air filter sits on top of the cylinder, with the threaded end sticking out the top, for the wing-nut. This would have been the adapter.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
Tom Bredehoft
'53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
'55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
(Under Construction 564 hrs.)
'05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
All Indiana built cars

rocinante
12-04-2008, 12:31 AM
I just tried this and to no avail. The air cleaner keeps hitting parts of the carb and does not seat. AND... I notice that if a small (1/2" or so) adapter ring was present, the wishbone hold-down would not be long enough to extend up through the air cleaner completely. Hmmm.... So maybe either I have the wrong wishbone (too short) or the wrong air cleaner?

The parts catalog does not show a clear picture of the adapter that would be used on the RBS, so it's inconclusive to me what exactly the adapter appearance and dimensions are. But with any adapter, the current wishbone would not be long enough to be able to thread on the wing nut with the air cleaner in place. So perhaps I need another wishbone.

Arrgghhh!!!! This seems like such a simple mundane matter but it is confounding me!!

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Further feedback is still sought if anyone has anything else to add!

CS

'53 Champion Starlight coupe
'60 Lark VIII
'50 2R5
'63 Lark
'60 Lark VI

Dwain G.
12-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Here's what the underside of my '63 6 cyl. air cleaner looks like. No adapter, no interference. The Y-bolt is about 3 1/2" long. Your RBS has a little 'tin cup' float bowl, correct?

Dwain G.

rocinante
12-11-2008, 04:16 PM
BINGO. Thank you so much Dwain. There is the answer. My air cleaner does not have that short neck on the bottom of it like yours does. Apparently I do not have the original air cleaner on my car. So now I need someone on here to sell me one hopefully. Anyone have one of these air cleaners they would part with?

Dwain, do you happen to know the PN of that air cleaner? Maybe SASCO of SI has one. Thanks again, I have been really confounded by this problem.

Charles

'60 Lark VIII
'50 2R5
'63 Lark
'60 Lark VI

rocinante
12-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Forgot to mention that my RBS has the little tin cup float bowl.

Charles

'60 Lark VIII
'50 2R5
'63 Lark
'60 Lark VI

Dwain G.
12-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Well, that's a little progress. As far as a part number, this is a bit of a guess because I don't find the parts book particularly definitive. I think you want part #1558362. If you find one, just be sure the dimensions are correct, and that the bottom has that short rise. This is a United brand air cleaner.

Dwain G.