Sealed Power Piston Ring Product Flyers Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealed Power Piston Ring Product Flyers Needed

In the early- to mid-sixties, Studebaker provided the dealers with 'flyers' (product descriptions) of various accessories and replacement parts. These flyers generally had holes punched so they could be put in a three-ring binder.

One in particular that I know I have seen before are the flyers for the Perfect Circle and Sealed Power piston ring sets.

I have a couple of Sealed Power piston ring sets, and am trying to figure out the difference between the two. I know what they fit, by the part number - they both fit the 170 flathead and '61 - '63 OHV sixes. But I don't understand the difference between the two sets.

They are:
    • Sealed Power Kromex Ring Set (AC-2865)
    • Sealed Power Kromex Super-Seal Ring Set (AC-3200)

Both show up in the '59 thru '64 Parts Book, but really no good description is provided to understand the difference between the two sets. I 'm trying to decide which set to use on the flathead 170 I'm building.

If anyone (Leonard or Richard???) has copies of the Sealed Power Kromex piston ring flyers that explain the difference, I sure would appreciate a scan of them.

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Curious here - I take it they look alike?

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Curious here - I take it they look alike?

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door
      Actually they don't. That's why I am trying to get a copy of the product flyer.

The AC-2865 set is clearly a chrome-faced top ring. But the AC-3200 'Super-Seal' doesn't look like a chrome-faced top ring, unless it has some type of coating over the chrome.

Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

It was common in the sixties when Sealed Power
        was using Moly. rings to have a different grade
        set. I don't know what Studebaker did to renumber.
        The moly is gray, and it is usually in a groove
        on the compression (TOP) ring only. Moly rings
        seal better than chrome without a lot of honing.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Does anyone have a early to mid-1960s Sealed Power piston ring catalog? The same info should be in it.

Help!

Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

This advertisement from June 1960 Motor Magazine may or may not be identical to the Studebaker flyer, I don't know. If these boxes also have the Sealed Power number, does that number have a suffix like X, C, KX, or MX?

[img][/img]

[img][img]
            Dwain G.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

This advertisement from June 1960 Motor Magazine may or may not be identical to the Studebaker flyer, I don't know. If these boxes also have the Sealed Power number, does that number have a suffix like X, C, KX, or MX?

Dwain G.
              *Edited to remove ad*
              Thanks Dwain. The ad verifies what I was thinking/remembering - that the top rings in the Kromex sets are chrome plated. But what I don't understand is that, if the "Super Seal" set does have a chrome plated top ring, what did they coat it with to make it dark?

No Sealed Power set part numbers, just the Stude AC numbers. But, I just realized that they do provide the individual ring part numbers:
              Kromex AC-2865 - top ring is BT-10U, middle ring is SG-10, and oil rings are SS-50U
              Kromex AC-3200 "Super Seal" - top ring is 1B-10, middle ring is SG-10, and oil rings are SS-50U.
              So, the individual ring p/n's are the same except for the top rings, which does validate what I am seeing visually.

Hopefully someone will come up with an ad that specifies the differences, or someone will come up with a vintage Sealed Power catalog.

Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

I found brochures for both type rings, and they confirm some of what you already know. The Super-Seal are described as an economy line, with cast iron top rings and chrome-plated oil rings. (That's why the top ring looks dark.) The Kromex rings have chrome top rings and stainless steel oil rings. The Kromex was a new design, introduced in April 1957.

Skip Lackie
                Washington DC
                Skip Lackie

Comment

You might try contacting Federal-Mogul, as they bought Sealed Power some years ago.

As a 'wierd connections' tie in.....(Kevin Bacon be darned!)
                  I took a trip several years ago and rode in a DC-10 from O'hare to Detroit.... ( 20 minute flight[:0])..
                  The gal setting next to my spacious 3-5-3 aisle seat was a recent college grad on her way to Detroit to interview for a job with Sealed-Power.
                  She had never flown on any airplane...ever, and she was...well...a bit nervous.
                  As the plane was pushed back from the gate, the pilot came on the intercom and welcomed us..yada yada yada...
                  But his first words stunned me.
                  He said "Welcome aboard to flight ### nonstop to Detroit. My name is Captain Al Haynes............."
                  I blurted out loud "Al Haynes!"
                  The girl next to me said "What's so important about that?"
                  I told her "If there is any one pilot I want flying the DC-10 I am riding in, it is that man, Al Haynes"
                  She said "why?"
                  So I told her about United flight 191 that ended up in Sioux City.
                  She did not enjoy the rest of her flight.
                  But I did... (and I noticed he 'flew' the plane and didn't put it on autopilot.
                  He retired only a few weeks after that.
                  Sort of like getting back on the horse that bucked you, then getting off and walking away.
                  Never did find out if she got the job...
                  Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

That poor woman. She's probably never going to be of same mind after sitting next to you back then. [B)]

ChopStu
                    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

I found brochures for both type rings, and they confirm some of what you already know. The Super-Seal are described as an economy line, with cast iron top rings and chrome-plated oil rings. (That's why the top ring looks dark.) The Kromex rings have chrome top rings and stainless steel oil rings. The Kromex was a new design, introduced in April 1957.

Skip Lackie
                      Washington DC
                      Thanks Skip!

Your description of the Super-Seal set matches what's in this set.

I did some checking trying to decipher the part (code) number for the top ring of the Super-Seal set last night. The code is 1B-10......not sure what the "1" means. The "B" indicates a beveled edge, the "1" after the hyphen indicates a compression ring, and the "0" indicates cast iron. There is no "U" on the Super-Seal set indicating chrome on the top ring, which matches with what I see visually and with the info Skip provided.

I guess Sealed Power felt they could still call this a Kromex set since the oil rings are the SS-50U stainless side rails with chrome plating.

Jeff, I have checked with Federal-Mogul, but since I am a 'consumer', they didn't want to talk to me. They repeatedly told me to contact one of their distributors.

Thanks to everyone for their help in figuring this out!!

Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Paul,

I have a Ph# and mailing address for a guy in the NW that deals only in vintage piston rings. I'd bet a buck to a cop's donut that he'd be able to shed some light on this. E-mail me if you want his contact info.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1963 Cruiser
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Paul Weaver, the piston ring dealer Biggs refers to, passed away a few years ago. He lived here in town and was an SDC member. His stock went to Dave Reed in Elkton, MD. Phone (410)398-7340. I called Sandy Olsen's (Gaskets) just today and got that information.

[img][img]
                          Dwain G.
                          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                          X