Flexing in a 1954 Studebaker Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexing in a 1954 Studebaker Frame

I have a 54 Stude with a 383 Chrysler and a Nova subframe welded into it and that power will bend the frame. I am going to have it strengthened by welding in gussets. where in the frame does it need to be strengthened?

Thanks,

Alex Nelsen

Alex Nelsen
    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
    Lizella, GA

Hi Alex!

I am glad you found your way to the forum. For those of you that haven't seen this video, Alex is the young man in the starring role.

Again, welcome to the forum!

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona

Comment

Alex - Welcome, it's great to have new, younger members aboard. Particularily with 53/54 C/K's.

Now let me say how much I enjoyed the slide show, also.

HOVEVER, If my old eyes are not mistaken as I watch the pix flash by, you don't need gussets you need cross members. It appears the rear engine member is missing and the midbody cross member has been cut to add a one piece driveshaft.

Let me recommend you purchase the 53 Shop Manual with the 54 update, which shows the frame, and bring the frame back to at least something like stock. Then I'm sure the folks that race Studes can suggest further mods.

If it were mine, I'd replace the rear engine crossmember and then build a tubular X-member to take the place of the midbody unit. I'd make it much like the units built to fit the frames of 39-40 fords.

Again, welcome aboard. Bob

Comment

my little brothers 59' Chevy has an X-frame

Alex Nelsen
        Lizella, GA

Comment

Hi Alex -nice job on your '54. Here's a link to some pics of my '54 frame mods -maybe they'll give you some ideas. Keep up the good work!!!

Comment

Alex, Welcome to the Club and Forum. I responded to another post thinking I knew who you were. Who would think there would be more than one Nelson Motorsports with a 53-54 Coupe? Check this out:

You can get some frame ideas from the Morrison frame they are using on this one too. I really like what you are doing with yours.

Pat

Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Great Video!
              I have built a 53 also with LS1/T56 combo and I don't think that the frame centre section is the flex issue, rather than the flex may be in the front frame horns. That big block is heavy. The body gives integrity to the flimsy Stude frame, but you still need more to make sure the suspension works properly. My car has a full cage with front frame bars that extend from the firewall to the lower rad area. In my opinion, this is one of the weakest parts of the Stude frame. Keep the front frame from moving around. My car has truck arm suspension on air ride and it pulls strong and drives perfectly straight without any torque steer whatsoever all the way to 154 mph. I dont know how to post pictures here, but there are pictures at the ECTA website showing the frame reinforcement.
              Good luck in your project.
              Peter

02G0200
              02G0200

Comment

I just built a roll cage as tight as I could get it to the body for my Lark.
                The chassis is VERY stiff now....and not too intrusive.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the plug, Pat, I've been looking at painters for the next step. I may end up doing that myself if I can finish up a couple of small items. We'd like to try for the 130 mph club at Bonneville first....

'53 Commander
                  '53 Commander
                  Art Morrison chassis
                  LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Last weekend i put in a new cross member and triangulated it, in fact today i am going to work on it.

Alex Nelsen
                    1954 Champion K body
                    Lizella, GA

Comment

Working...
                    X