PDA

View Full Version : "8" emblem

dong
11-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
I have the gold 8 emblem on the deck lid of my 62 Daytona that is quite tarnished. Do you know of anybody that is replating these in a gold finish?
Thanks

Don

pgothard
11-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Happy Thanksgiving, Don!

I also have a 62 Daytona that I completely restored. You might want to reconsider replating your "8". Besides that fact that you'd then have to paint the black insides of the loops of the "8", the piece is available from SI for $25.00 (or so). It is part # 1343241VP. I'll bet you couldn't get it replated for that cost!!

Paul (pgothard)

dong
11-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi, I got both the "V" and the "8" from SI and the fit of both is not correct The V has a large space between the lid at the center of each arm and the 8 doesn't fit properly on the original V. I don't know if I just got a bad V emblem from SI and maybe a correct one would solve the problem. The other thing I didn't like about the repros is that they use a nut to hold them on rather than barrel clips. It is real hard to get my hands in to attach the nuts.

Don

Flashback
11-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Is this the same one advertised to fit the 53 coupe
C body? And is the looks and fit correct for the 53?
I was about to ask for one for christmas. But, if it's
not a good fit or correct, I don't want it.

Tex E. Grier
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/Flashback53/Studebaker255.jpg

dong
11-27-2008, 11:45 PM
The catalog shows it being the same. I don't know about the fit on the deck lid. The 53 deck lid probably has a different shape. I guess I will send mine back and see if it is a bad one or if they all are the same.

Don

warrlaw1
11-28-2008, 09:40 AM
I bought the one from SI for my 55 K and it lines up identical to the original. There were many different styles of 8s used.

raoul5788
11-28-2008, 02:19 PM
The v emblem they sell doesn't fit the 53-54's correctly. It is really for the 62's. I found it out the hard way.

Chip
'63 Cruiser daily driver
'57 Packard wagon almost on the road!

pgothard
11-29-2008, 04:51 PM
I just took a closer look at my mounted "V8" (both of which I purchased from SI) on the trunk of my '62, and the fit is fine. I wonder if you have a warped casting, or (less likely) a deformation of the trunk surface.

Paul

N8N
11-29-2008, 04:55 PM
heh. I tried the SI "V" on a '62 and ended up using the old (pretty decent, but since I bought the "8" I bought them both) "V" instead. didn't fit there either. I had to modify the "8" slightly to fit the old "V."

In short, if you are looking for show quality, I'd replate the originals.

I see you have a 62 Daytona, the one thing you MUST replate are the birdies on the C-pillars. I don't believe that they've ever been repopped. I believe that I had Jerry Forrester nickel plate them and then send them to Nimesh Solanki to put the gold on. Then I put some clear lacquer on them so they wouldn't tarnish. I don't know if Nimesh is still doing gold plating though, but check with your local bling shop, there's probably someone still doing gold for lowriders, donks, etc.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel