Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HemiStude is done (now a contest, ended)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HemiStude is done (now a contest, ended)

Spent maybe $500 and 30 hours to prep for ebay. I did the following.

1. Replaced Caddy steering wheel with with a Grant, hooked the horn up to the wheel button with added relay instead of a switch on the column.
    2. Added molded upper radiator hose and a filler panel in front of he radiator, cleaned up under hood.
    3. Installed a new in dash tach for a better gauge match, cleaned up interior.
    4 Installed new front shocks.
    5. Buffed and waxed paint and stainless.
    6. Painted Studebaker letters white on trunk ornament.
    7. Drove the car daily for shake down.

Updated pictures:

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

I like the combination of 53 on the front and 55 paint scheme on the back. They seem to belong together. I wonder if Bob Bourke ever thought of that!

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

I like the combination of 53 on the front and 55 paint scheme on the back. They seem to belong together. I wonder if Bob Bourke ever thought of that!
      I doubt it. The '53 coupe is about as perfect a design as could be imagined right out of the gate. Every "update" to it was probably thought of as an abomination by Bourke.

Comment

that cleaned up nicely, I like what you did in the engine compartment with the filler

Comment

That is a fine ride. How did you get the rear fender trim to fit so nice. Mine is all too short to match up like that.
          Good luck, it should do very well.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
          "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Comment

The previous owner did the trim.

JDP/Maryland
            "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
            Thomas Jefferson
            JDP Maryland

Comment

If it was mine, I'd get some rake on it for a more "nose down" look.
              Still looks good, and would shine at a GoodGuys show or a Stude meet.
              Nice work, John.

Chris Pile
              Midway Chapter SDC
              The Studebaker Special
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

You could do that with a torsion bar adjustment or HD rear springs.

JDP/Maryland
                Thomas Jefferson
                JDP Maryland

Comment

And now for the obvious question: How's it drive? If it goes half as good as it looks, it'll be great.

That really is a nice presentation. I'll bet I goes for a nice price on Ebay.

Bob []

Comment

It drives fine, with but one issue. The Hemi is too heavy for the stock torsion bars and it's a bit bouncy in the front. The PO included a set of heavier bars, but I did not install them. I did add new HD front shocks and that helped a lot.
                    What's odd is that a drive is completely uneventful. It is after all the front of a late 70's mopar chassis pulling 2/3rds of a Studebaker frame with body attached.

JDP/Maryland
                    Thomas Jefferson
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

A boat battery box isnt expensive and hides the battery
                      plus it has a nice strap holding the cover to the bottom.
                      Cheap and sanitary.They also have wide openings to run the
                      cables out of and still vent the battery.Just a observation.
                      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

That Volare style torsion bar set up is a lot different than all the other Mopar suspensions. The torsion bars are transverse rather than longitudinal. Interesting set up as it's self contained.

I would love to see how it was adapted to the Stude frame. I'm assuming Mopar steering box? I imagine if someone wasn't in love with the Hemi that a 360 Mopar Crate Engine may be an easy swap. It would lighten the front and probably make for a quick nice handling car.

quote:Originally posted by JDP

It drives fine, with but one issue. The Hemi is too heavy for the stock torsion bars and it's a bit bouncy in the front. The PO included a set of heavier bars, but I did not install them. I did add new HD front shocks and that helped a lot.
                        What's odd is that a drive is completely uneventful. It is after all the front of a late 70's mopar chassis pulling 2/3rds of a Studebaker frame with body attached.

JDP/Maryland
                        Thomas Jefferson

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

It was easy to adapt, just cut off the front third of the Studebaker frame and weld on the Volare, presto, disk brakes and power steering .

JDP/Maryland
                          Thomas Jefferson
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

Now on ebay here:

JDP/Maryland
                            Thomas Jefferson
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

Nice presentation...nicer car []. I predict it will do VERY well.

You might just swear off those $35k Hawks.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X