Engine Swap Have 6 want to chang to bigger 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Swap Have 6 want to chang to bigger 6

I have to overhaul the engine in 1949 Champion this winter. Using oil etc. Want to switch to 1955 6 . What kind of problems could I run into. Will the oil pan & stuff fit to switch parts from one to another? Also Anyone know of the bigger 6 for sale in the Fresno,CA area. Thanks in advance. Oh we will be keeping it Stude powered. Just want a little more Stude Power.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Anne, it should be an EASY swap. Yeah, pan and everything else would swap just fine. I don't KNOW of a 185 locally, but we should be able to scare one up eventually.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I agree. Externally, the engines are identical.
      Hope your Thanksgiving was great.
      Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

As mine are V8s (or have NO motor)~ I'm just wondering~ [?]
        • Why a '55? My guess is that you already have one...
        • Would you be interrested in a '63 OHV? Just let me know, it ought not need much~ Dad (StudeRich) can tell you all about it...

StudeDave [8D]
        V/P San Diego County SDC
        San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
        '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
        '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
        '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
        '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
        '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

After the 185 came out in 1955 it also became the service replacement engine for earlier models, and the 170 was dropped. The factory put together three different conversion packages of extra parts needed to install these engines in various vehicles.
          For instance, the 1949 rear plate won't fit the '55 engine, and earlier oil pans will not fit the 185. Whether or not the oil pan currently on this '55 engine will clear the '49 steering I'm not sure.

[img] http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/63.63.jpg [/img]
          Dwain G.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

The reason I said a 55 was my son's car had one we sold it about two years ago. I just wanted an easy swap with more power. So yes I need an engine 6 best deal. Let me know. Thanks Guys

Mabel 1949 Champion
            1957 Silverhawk
            1955 Champion
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            Mabel 1949 Champion
            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
            Fresno,Ca

Comment

What about that truck Mr. Biggs took some parts off of in a junkyard? Didn't he say it had a Commander Six? Or is that not an easy swap with a Champion Six? Are you getting tired of seeing a question mark at the end of every sentence I write?

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon
              Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon
              Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

If you put a Commander 6 in a Champion, it really wouldn't be a true Champion then.

Also, I think the 185 was used from 1955 to 1958, although I could be wrong.

We have a 1955 185 in our shop with a rod knocking. It was in the '52 Champ when we got it. It now has a 170 from another '59 Scotsman truck. We have plans to rebuild it. If the 170 in my '59 truck ever goes, there'll be a spare! With 2 carbs, oh yeah! []
                We really have no other cars to put it in. Everything else runs fine.

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, Georgia
                '59 Scotsman PU
                '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

I wished you had've saved that rust free cab Biggs... [V] Something us over here in Georgia would love to have.

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, Georgia
                  '59 Scotsman PU
                  '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Dillo,

That truck is LONG crushed and shredded. Besides, that Big 6 wouldn't shoehorn into that Champion very easy. [:I]

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Agree! The Commander front clips were longer through 1950 because the engine was longer. I suppose it could be done if you moved the radiator to the trunk. Anne has the right idea. A 185 in place of the 170 is a no-brainer, if one is available. I thought they were used for several years.[?]

Brad Johnson
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      33 Rockne 10
                      51 Commander Starlight
                      53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks Guys for all of your help. So I will be patiently waiting for someone to come forward with a overhaulable 185. Because we could overhaul my existing engine but I will go through really bad Stude withdrawals not having one to drive for a few weeks. Guys I don't think I could make it. I drive mine daily not that it is my only car its by far my favorite. My poor ol 69 El Camino just sits there, I've driven it for 25 years. Anyhow thanks for your help.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                        1957 Silverhawk
                        1955 Champion
                        Gus 1958 Transtar
                        Mabel 1949 Champion
                        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                        Gus 1958 Transtar
                        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                        Fresno,Ca

Comment

The 185 gets it's bigger cubic inches by a longer stroke. I would think you could bore the 170 out and wind up somewhere near the same cubic inches with a larger cylinder bore. I know that would take a little longer. If you can't find a 185 it might be easier to find a 170 engine and rebuild it with larger pistons. Just thought I would throw some other options at you. It's supposed to be a nice day here in Maryland, I think my Studebaker out today for a drivr! Have a great Studebaker day!!![8D]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Hey guys, I have a 185 stude motor. Currently, the motor is apart. The crank does not need any machining. If you need to look at motor contact me on my cell 530-320-6299. I live east of Placerville, Ca. Will trade for front grill and driver side fender for a 1949 stude truck 2r5. You can take an have checked if you want before you trade for parts.

Comment

Working...
                            X