Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 headlight rims

ARE 50 AND 51 HEADLIGHT RIMS THE SAME

50 Champion rims interchange with 51 champs and commanders. 50 Commander/Landcruiser rims are unique.

51 Commander State Sedan
    Butler PA

51 Commander State Sedan
    Butler PA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by nickaboni2

ARE 50 AND 51 HEADLIGHT RIMS THE SAME
      THANKS THEY ARE GOING ON MY 51 STARLIGHT COUPE ROD(stude powered of course)

Comment

Dear sirs, Going through the forum here and it seems as if I've stumbled onto at least a couple of champion/commander eggspurts, I recently purchased a 52 commander 2-door hard top. It came with all the parts to put a 50 model bullet nose front end on it and I'm getting a lot of differing apinions as to wether or not this front end will simply bolt on or not. Both my 52 and 50 model fenders are the same length and roughly 3+ inches behind the wheel well, another question is the interior fender skirts fitting around the new and improved 52 front end. The 50 model is slightly wider outside of fender to inside of skirt. Please help? Thanks in advance, Dean.

Comment

I'm no expert but from experience the 50 fenders will fit if it's a 6 but will not fit a V8 at least on my 51.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
          As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dean pearson

I'm getting a lot of differing apinions as to wether or not this front end will simply bolt on or not.
            I'm on thin ice here, but I think the outer fenders on the 50 Champ will fit on the 52-- but the inner fender will either require some cutting or perhaps better, use of the '52 inner fender. Either way, there's probably some sheetmetal work in your future...

51 Commander State Sedan
            Butler PA

51 Commander State Sedan
            Butler PA

Comment

Is that because of the length or the skirt width?

Comment

I think your right, I'm in the process of motivating myself for a dry fit. unfortunatly I have allready taken my body off the frame so it will have to be set back on and try the fenders. I hate it when I have to go backwards. I think Im going to go ahead and get my frame narrowed in the rear first so at least when the body is put back on I can fit together the sheetmetal in the rear. On a slightly different subject do you know of any company that makes a rear glass rubber gasket for a 52 hardtop?

Comment

If you've truly got a 50 front end, it will not fit your '52. If you've got a '51 front end, it WILL fit. If the distance from the aft edge of the fender to the rear corner of the wheel well is the SAME on the two, maybe you have '51 front fenders. It wouldn't be the first time someone rounded up parts for the wrong year.
                  The wheel location with respect to the fenders is different from 50 to 51 and so the wheel cutout in the fender is different on the '50 with respect to the 51-52 cars.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1963 Cruiser
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Dean - Dan here. We have talked RE your hardtop project.
                    You'll find all the answers you need and more on the forum, it's great. Don't be afraid to start up a new topic!

I must warn you to keep whatever you have left of your rear window seals! Mine were garbage, I would have bet I could not use them. A few years later - I used them. Along with lots of weatherstrip adhesive to fill in the holes.
                    The only chance you have of a repalcement is a seal from another model, then cutting it up into pieces for the hardtop. A daunting project, and not cheap either.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

If you've truly got a 50 front end, it will not fit your '52. If you've got a '51 front end, it WILL fit. If the distance from the aft edge of the fender to the rear corner of the wheel well is the SAME on the two, maybe you have '51 front fenders. It wouldn't be the first time someone rounded up parts for the wrong year.
                      The wheel location with respect to the fenders is different from 50 to 51 and so the wheel cutout in the fender is different on the '50 with respect to the 51-52 cars.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1963 Cruiser
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

Comment

It is quite possible my fenders are 51 but I am sure the rest is 50 so maybe that is why I cant figure out exactly why they wouldnt work. the man who owned this car before me and gathered up all these parts was intending to build it for himself and it looks like he gathered up the parts that work. (for the right reason)

Comment

Dan, too late on saving my gasket it was so hard I didnt want to risk breaking the glass so it got cut to piecies. Looks like I need a good glass man to get me through this one.
                          Thanks.

Comment

Aha! I've seen this VERY scenario - where someone rounds up bullet nose pieces without being aware of the differences in 50 and 51 and only discovers the mix-up when they start to assemble![B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1963 Cruiser
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

For the rear glass Studebaker International lists:
                              770011 Rear glass center bar (takes 4)
                              770013x9 Rear glass seal (corners must be mitered & glued)

KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X