Tires for 50 Champion-modern vs. old style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires for 50 Champion-modern vs. old style

I have 15" tires on a 50 Stude Champion that were purchased before I knew of the resources of the club and catalogues. At my request in 1997, they were radial, like 735 x 15.

The manual says 640 is standard and I am most interested in a safe tire for long distances, even in some poor weather conditions.

Questions--all weather? Radial? Classic Tires? I now want a normal wide white wall.

Jim

Jim

I would suggest a new set of radial tires for your 50 Champ. Tires go bad with age and with todays driving conditions as in newer cars pulling out in front of you or pushing you down the road modern tires are a must.
    I would check out Coker tire for a good looking set of there Radial classic series. I have a set of these on my 50 Champ and they look good and handle great.

Rick
    Wellington, Colorado

Comment

If you don't feel like spending $100+ a tire for Cokers any decent radial will work just fine, and Goodyear and the other major brands are a lot cheaper. I have a set of General radials on my '50 Champion and they work just fine....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Rick, Thanks for the thoughtful answer and good information. I will check the Coker out asap.

Jim
        New York City.

quote:Originally posted by Hawk5619

Jim

I would suggest a new set of radial tires for your 50 Champ. Tires go bad with age and with todays driving conditions as in newer cars pulling out in front of you or pushing you down the road modern tires are a must.
        I would check out Coker tire for a good looking set of there Radial classic series. I have a set of these on my 50 Champ and they look good and handle great.

Rick
        Wellington, Colorado

Comment

forgot to ask if you would stick with the 640? Games can be played which might improve looks and even handling, I am told.
          Jm

Jim

Rick
          Wellington, Colorado

Comment

Jim,

Yes I would stay with the stock 640 which translates to 195/75R/15 in a radial tire. The Coker Classic Tire looks real good with the wide whitewall put are pricy.
            Here is link to show how they look on my 1950 Starlight

The Web's second oldest Studebaker page. Information on Studebaker cars, trucks, and toys

Rick

Comment

Beautiful car and I love the tires...thanks again. Jim

Jim,

Yes I would stay with the stock 640 which translates to 195/75R/15 in a radial tire. The Coker Classic Tire looks real good with the wide whitewall put are pricy.
              Here is link to show how they look on my 1950 Starlight

The Web's second oldest Studebaker page. Information on Studebaker cars, trucks, and toys

Rick

Comment

Working...
              X