Headliner Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headliner Quiz

I have available to me a new vinyl headliner that fits the 58 and up Studebaker Hawk Hardtop at an extremely low price. Being a CASO and knowing that Studebaker had a proclivity for not changing stamping dies more than required, I propose the following question.

Will the bow spacing on the headliner be the same as the bow spacing on my 54 Hardtop? The reason for the question is straight forward. If the bow spacing is equivalent then I could use it in my 54. I plan to change some of the trim and panels so as long as it can be stretched between bows I think I can handle the rest of the variations.

I know there is a large difference in the sail panels but the rest of the top appears to be similiar between the 53 and 58 up models.

Can you help a fellow CASO out?

Bob

I question any headliner listed as "...58 and up Studebaker Hawk Hardtop..." This is going from an early K body 1958 Golden Hawk to a 1964 Gran Turismo Hawk. These cars have completely different roof panels, so I don't see how the same headliner can fit properly.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Gary - Excellent question. I had assumed it was for the later style 62-64 type but I had better check.

I know what assume means. I guess I need to study Stude rooflines better. For some reason I assumed ( there's that word again ) from the little research I did last night that Studebaker went from 53-54 style hardtop to the 62-64 style as early as 58.

Dang Merlot at night, at least I continue to learn a little every day.

Thanks, Bob [)]

Comment

MY GUESS would be that if it were for a 58 Golden Hawk (as opposed to a 58 Silver Hawk C-body car), it would fit. The toothed rails on either side of the roof (that the headliner snags onto) are the same for all 53-58 K-body cars (according to the parts book). These rails have notches in them where the bows go, so I would think it'd be safe to assume on this. In fact, the roof panel itself is the same part number for 53 thru 58 Ks.
        There IS a difference in part numbers of the bows themselves, for 58 Ks. What I'm thinking is it was the way the bows were made - not their profile - that was different.
        You DID say Hawk, but of course, there was the J-body hardtop in '58 too.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob

Gary - Excellent question. I had assumed it was for the later style 62-64 type but I had better check.

I know what assume means. I guess I need to study Stude rooflines better. For some reason I assumed ( there's that word again ) from the little research I did last night that Studebaker went from 53-54 style hardtop to the 62-64 style as early as 58.
          1953 K body (hardtop) through 1958 K body had the same upper body/grenhouse and 1953 through 1961 C (coupe) body had the same upper body/greenhouse. I imagine the headliners for all of these could be made to be interchangable. The 1962-1964 Hawks had the completely different "T-bird style" roof.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
          X