700r4 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 700r4 question

I know this has been brought up on this board numerous time, I have done all the reading. I am looking in particular for shifter stuff. I would like to retain the column shift and run a 700 r4. I know I need the adapter, TV cable Lockup stuff, I just want to know how to shift the thing using the original shifter. I can change the bezel with a piece of Plexiglas to read like a 700r4, how does the detente work. Is there a cable? Lever? I had found a thread here a while ago and have lost it.

Go here, http://www.shiftworks.com/kugel.htm.

The detent is in the trans itself. You should be able to adapt your column shifter with a kit from Shiftworks. Do the set up with the pan off and If it takes too much effort to move the shifter the flat spring in the trans can be bent to lessen the tension.

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

I just did this conversion to my 55 wagon. Lokar makes a nice rod settup that connects the stock shifter to the trans. I also used the Lokar carb spring ,kickdown cable, flexible dipstick, and nuetral safety switch. The shift column up by the indicator has a spring and detent ball that you need to remove. I think I had to pull the wheel to do that. You need to be careful to adjust the kickdown cable correctly. Bowtie Overdrives makes a nice little kit to do this. I have found that even after using a 1/2 in carb spacer you need to grind a little off the int. manifold to get clearance for the kickdown kit. Bowtie also makes kits for the non computor lockup convertor. By the way, on the two I have done I have had to use a 2200-2400 Rpm torque convertor to get a good idle. One 289 had a Ted Harbit cam, the other an R-1. Good luck.

Comment

Bige,

What do you recommend using to adapt the Powershift console shifter in an Avanti to a 4L60E -which I'm guessing should be the same for a 700R4? My shifter is intact, but I'm missing the linkage from the shifter to the tranny. Thanks ~Will

Comment

I think you would be able to use the same kit from Shiftworks. I used the kit initially on the first 700 install. It was very difficult to pull the shifter out of park and I just couldn't adjust around it. I subsequently spent days adapting a Camaro shifter under the assumption that it would solve my problem. It didn't. The problem was the detent spring inside the trans. I had to bend it to ease some of the tension. Moral of the story is that I probably could have used the stock shifter after all. The adapter kit is inexpensive and includes a rod to replace your missing piece.

I was fortunate to find a shifter from an Avanti II that was factory equipped with an OD automatic. I am using that with the 200 4R and a Shiftworks kit. There is a difference in shifters and with a non OD shifter you may not be able to access 1st gear manually but I'm not sure.

If pictures would help I can crawl under the car on Sunday, weather permitting, and show you what it looks like.

As I mentioned in another thread I highly recommend the Constant Pressure Valve Body from TCI for the 700 or the 200. It will allow you some leeway in the TV cable adjustment without cooking the trans from a mis-adjusted cable.

quote:Originally posted by wcarroll@outrageous.net

Bige,

What do you recommend using to adapt the Powershift console shifter in an Avanti to a 4L60E -which I'm guessing should be the same for a 700R4? My shifter is intact, but I'm missing the linkage from the shifter to the tranny. Thanks ~Will

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

Thanks Bige. And yes, a picture would be great when you get a chance.

Comment

I have a 700R4 Adapter kit with Starter from Myers Studebaker and a fiberglass 700R4 replica transmission to go with it. The fiberglass model has metal threaded bolts all around so you can match it up to the bell housing and figure out any support modifications. Even has the pan bolt pattern on the bottom. I also have the TPI adapter that corrects the geometry of the down shift lever on Edlebrock carbs.

I changed my plans to a 5 speed conversion and no longer need them.
              Anyone interested in giving me an offer and save me the trouble of putting them onto eBay?

Tony in Austin

Comment

JDP;

I used a Lark or Hawk type column (don't know which, bought it off Ebay). Then bought a shift indicator from Bowtie Overdrives. I had to file it down some, but it fit perfectly into the chrome shift indicator frame on the column. Then I bought a Lokar shift cable kit. It works pretty well. The detent is internal to the 700R4, so that should be no problem. The truck looks normal in that it has an automatic shift on the column and not in the middle of the floor. So it looks like a Champ with an automatic transmission.

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker
                Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

First, I apologize for the fuzziness but I didn't feel like getting the jackstands out and making a project of it. What you should be able to see is the lever that attaches to the trans has a long slot in it and what might not be clear is it is also mounted to the trans on a ribbed fitting that allows the lever to be positioned in very small increments. The rod that is supplied also has lots of thread on each end for adjusting the length.

Lots of adjustability with this kit. I haven't gotten under there to re-adjust after the trans shop installed the TCI but when it's right I can get all detents properly aligned with the shift indicator.

The wires that are visible are to a universal Lokar neutral safety switch. Because I have only the Avanti II shifter and none of the neutral safety or back-up light switch gear I had to improvise.

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by wcarroll@outrageous.net

Thanks Bige. And yes, a picture would be great when you get a chance.

Comment

Working...
                  X