Steering Box Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Box Replacement

My 78 Avanti II GM 305 engine with powering steering needs the steering box replaced. The WORM Gear is worn and causing very "loose" steering. Any idea what GMC parts/ # I need to replace ?
    Thanks, Jerry

Here's an easy alternative (and near Atlanta, too)

Brand: AGR
    Product Line: AGR Billet Steering Boxes
    Part Type: Steering Boxes
    Part Number: AGR-292112
    Steering Box Style: Front steer
    Steering Box Type: Power assist
    Steering Ratio: 12:1
    Steering Box Material: Cast iron
    Steering Box Finish: Natural
    Mounting Bracket Included: No
    Pitman Arm Included: No
    Quantity: Sold individually.

Steering Box, Power Assist, Cast Iron, 12:1 Ratio, Buick/Chevy/Oldsmobile/Pontiac, Each

quote:Originally posted by geojerry

My 78 Avanti II GM 305 engine with powering steering needs the steering box replaced. The WORM Gear is worn and causing very "loose" steering. Any idea what GMC parts/ # I need to replace ?
    Thanks, Jerry
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

doesn't a '78 still use a Stude frame/suspension? Was a more modern box adapted to Avanti IIs before the frame switch? Could any of these parts be used to upfit an old Stude? (thinking...)

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Hi, Jeff,

Wouldn't a front steer box turn the wrong way on Studes, which are rear steer?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Once you get used to it, it's fine [)]

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yes!

It will not work.

David L
            David L

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Once you get used to it, it's fine [)]

But it'd sure take a lot to get used to it! Man, talk about a great way to mess with people... [)]

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Make a bracket and turn it sideways. Ask for a 3/4" X 36 spline that will couple up to the Avanti rag joint.

Comment

"Make a bracket and turn it sideways. Ask for a 3/4" X 36 spline that will couple up to the Avanti rag joint."

I considered a later Saginaw box for my 56. I have check a several of these and yet to find one that will not rotate in the wrong direction with the center point steering when rotated and mounted. If some knows a specific application that will work let me know as it would be a easy conversion.

Comment

Beats me...
                    Every time I try to help an Avanti guy I show my ignorance to Avanti's and all the experts chime in (which they should if the info is wrong)...
                    At least I tried to help
                    Jeff[8D]

Hi, Jeff,

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by leyrret

"Make a bracket and turn it sideways. Ask for a 3/4" X 36 spline that will couple up to the Avanti rag joint."

I considered a later Saginaw box for my 56. I have check a several of these and yet to find one that will not rotate in the wrong direction with the center point steering when rotated and mounted. If some knows a specific application that will work let me know as it would be a easy conversion.
                      If you don't require PS, a 53-56 Champion C-K likely had a Saginaw manual box. If you're looking for power, you'd need a box, pump, and column from a 56 or earlier C-K with power steering, that is a Saginaw "offset" type box (big 'n' heavy.) Both are a bolt on, and the "offset" was used until '58, but you need a column, jacket, and shifter stuff from a 56 or earlier to work with your stock steering wheel. I have a lot of this stuff laying around, but honestly I'm too busy at the moment to clean, prep, pack etc. (and all of it needs minor repair)

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Hi, Alan,

quote:Make a bracket and turn it sideways. Ask for a 3/4" X 36 spline that will couple up to the Avanti rag joint.
                        Sometimes those here on the SDC forum who don't know you as well as I do can't get your twisted sense of mechanical humor.

Paraphrasing the Brits, "Put a bracket on my aunt and turn her sideways and she's a tea trolly." For those who don't know, Alan is a master welder and fabricator, with a completely equipped machine shop. He can make anything fit anything. What is effectively impossible for 99% of us is no problem for him.

Yes, he is correct, in that the GM box shown can be turned sideways, a new bracket fabricated, a pitman arm purchased and located vertically downward, appropriate ends made for the reach rod and/or the pitman arm reamed to fit the Stude, PS hoses adapted and voila! No problem, only if you are Alan.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                        PackardV8

Comment

Going to have to bite my tonge on that one Jack, we are in mixed company here. But I am right in the middle of putting a Saginaw 525 on my Avanti. Will take some pics. after I finish the brackets. I am setting up my Plasma Pantograph right now and have more work than I can handle for others at the moment. People crying about their stuff trumps your own toys.

Comment

Not trying to deride anyones ability. I ask a serious question. I would like to have a later Saginaw box(like the one pictured above) but I have not found one when mounted (unless it's configured for external frame mounting and you turn it up side down) as suggested that doesn't work the steering backwards. If there is an application that will work I would like to know so I can use it.

Comment

You have a '56 Sedan right? Then why not adapt a '61-'66 Lark Type recirculating ball type Saginaw gear in there, why try to use a brand X that turns backwards? If you are going to run Chevy power it should be light enough not to need power, but that could be installed also if you must.
                              We had this discussion not long ago, and THOUGHT it was you, AND you were doing it! [] Maybe not! [8]

quote:Originally posted by leyrret

If there is an application that will work I would like to know so I can use it.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X