PDA

View Full Version : Hawk defroster hose

John Kirchhoff
11-21-2006, 10:49 PM
When I had to remove the left defroster hose on my Hawk, after 46 years it was stiff as a board and very brittle. I tried the old duck tape trick (that and baling wire are man's best friend) but trying to to put the hose back under the dash was like trying to stick someone in the setting position with rigor mortis into a coffin. Laying by the door of the shop for me to fall over was one of those ribbed flex radiator hoses, 1 3/4" by 24 inches long. It was kind of stiff (the weather was cold) but actually fit very nicely and once on I didn't have to try to put the rinky dink hose clamp onto it. A new defroster hose may be cheaper, I don't know, but the radiator hose was handy and looking for a home, so I gave it to it.

Blue 15G
11-22-2006, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the tip. One of the defroster hoses on my '54 was toast when I worked on the defroster motor recently. To replace it, I used a hose like you would find on a newer car that goes from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner intake. The outer surface is a sort of black paper and the inside is foil. It is flexible and fits great. Should last another 52 years.

Studebayker
11-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Well dang, I wish you had posted this earlier. I just spent $25.00
on the defrost hose from the local parts store. Live, and learn.
Recommendation, dont use dryer vent hose for the fresh air hose to
the underseat heater. My '55 had this on it when I bought it.
Steven Allen saved the day.

James K. Clark
East Tenn.
'55 Prez 2dr Hdtp.
Don't take yourself too seriously!

James K. Clark

bams50
11-22-2006, 10:51 PM
This is from the Lincoln forum I also frequent; a pretty clever solution for these flexible ducts when replacements aren't available!

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=18157&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=heater+hoses

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1