1963 259 two barrel carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 259 two barrel carb question

Yet again, I am asking a question regarding my 63 Lark.
    It has a 259 V8 with the two barrel carb. Auto transmission. All factory.

So, what happens is, I start the car, it runs and idles fine. Then when I put the car into gear, and take off, about 60% of the time when I come back down to a stop, the idle is so low that the car shakes and sputters. Unless I baby it from a stop, it will flood. After it does that, it will miss while driving at highway speeds. If I cut the engine and re-start, it idles and runs fine again until I stop and go for a while. I have also recently found that if I quick-rev the engine by pushing the foot-feed all the way to the floor,(in park or neutral of course) the idle will pick back up... for a while. Could this be an automatic choke issue? Or something as simple as an Idle speed adjustment? I looked at the carb while it was running and fiddled with it, and of course, it didn't give me any trouble while I was looking at it, go figure. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint. Driven often, always noticed. Man I love this car!!

Sounds like a sticky or leaking float to me; a carb rebuild is probably in order.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Lots of possibilities here!
      (1)Check your throttle LEVER, the one that is connected to the throttle rod and has that brass penned end of the throttle shaft poked through it at the Carb. base, if it wobbles that is your problem.

When that penned brass gets so loose that the LEVER can move left and right, you will sometimes actually MISS the Idle stop screw, and not be able to idle! This is a very worn out Carb. but a professional COULD rebuild it with new bronze bushings in the base plate etc.

This not your typical "Rebuild" where you clean it, and put in new gaskets, needle and seat and accelerator pump, make the adjustments and call it rebuilt! [:0]

(2)This flooring it to make it run smoother, could also mean you have a worn out Prestolite Distributor, that has the Centrifugal weights so worn that they are ready to fly off of their shafts, and are jamming the breaker plate! Time for a Major rebuild of that, OR a dependable early Delco '51-'59 or late Window Type, '60-'61 Lark Delco Distributor!

(3)Your "flooding" condition makes me think this whole situation is really caused by: dirt in the needle and seat, a worn out needle, sunk float or excess fuel pressure from a bad fuel pump, causing too much fuel flow!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

As StudeRich mentioned, this may not be a carburetor problem at all. I had very similar symptoms with a 259/2bbl. The problem turned out to be a worn pivot point on the breaker plate of the Prestolite distributor. As the vacuum advance would move the plate, the dwell angle of the points would change dramatically. Pulling away from a stop was then nearly impossible. Turning the engine off and re-starting would make the problem go away.

I would suggest that you hook up a dwell meter in such a way that you or an assistant can monitor the dwell angle reading while you drive. If it varies more than +/- 3 degrees, there is a problem (mine would change by 10-15 degrees). If this is your problem, replacing the breaker plate assembly is a fairly simple and inexpensive fix.

Jim Bradley
        Lewistown PA
        '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
        '78 Avanti II
        Jim Bradley
        Lake Monticello, VA
        '78 Avanti II
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys. I didn't even consider the distributor. I have not yet had time to get to it...and probably won't until after Christmas[xx(]. Maybe during vacation. She is garaged for the winter anyway, so I should have ample time to tweak. Judging by what I have read, I do think it has something to do with the breaker plate. Fun under the hood of a Stude!

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint. Driven often, always noticed. Man I love this car!!

Comment

sounds like we are experiencing similar symptoms

Comment

Working...
            X