Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THIS poor guy again... and, lesson learned

This car's back, for the umpteenth time:

I saw this car in person at the Spring Carlisle. It would appeal to a sliver-narrow market. Not only that, it's a high-dollar piece, which further narrows the pool of interested buyers- imagine a pro-street buyer that wants this car, in these colors, thus equipped- and has the money- and is willing to part with that much right now- going into Winter...[xx(]

I showed it to some non-Stude buddies this Summer, and the clear consensus among them was that pro-street has really faded in popularity- not to mention gas was rocketing skyward at the time...

Lessons I learned: If you want to build a specialty car, understand that if you decide to sell it you'll take a big hit in the wallet- and may have a tough time finding a buyer at that. Being it has a crate motor, he probably paid to have most of it done, and all new stuff at retail; so probably has all that and more in it. I'm afraid if he let the market bid he'd be lucky to draw $15K right now. And, I bet his marketing and transportation costs to do so are now in the thousands... he's learning a costly lesson

This is NOT a comment on workmanship, or the owner's taste; just a warning to those of us dreaming about building something comparable[B)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

I completely agree with Bob A. The car is not my "cup of tea", but I would pay $10K for it. I wonder what that VIN number is - maybe a state issued number.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

FWIW, I once helped a friend build a similar car. After six total months of use over three years, when he finally sold it at a huge loss, I estimated every ride around the fairgrounds show, every cruise night he used the car in parade laps, every Sunday afternoon he fired it up, it cost him $1,000 per time.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Sweet machine and worth every penny.
        Just not here...
        Which is why it was not offered up here.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

If your going to build such a car to market it, then you just have to take your chances and take it to the right venue.

If your building your dream, be prepared to take a bath. It really don't matter if it's a pure resto, or a wild custom. Your not going to get your time and money spent back. But you get your dream your way and thats worth as much as you decide it to be.

You think you lose money on this stuff try a full out race car build and try and sell it after a few races. Thats a dream that never ends, you build you go fast, but fast is not enough Iskys old mantra speed cost money how fast do you want to go. Why faster of course.

Same with just about any hobby, your dream money well spent. We all do the same thing. It's just the degree we do it in that makes the difference.

Comment

Those comments ring true to me and were a factor in me buying the hemi powered 53 hardtop for resale. While it has the cool factor of the 315 hemi power and 3-2 barrels, the builder wanted a driver. Although it comes with the progressive linkage, he recently blocked off the front and rear carb and faked their linkage. With the 3 speed overdrive, 3.23 rear and truck cam he claims 20 plus MPG on regular gas. I have the D- 500 cam if the owner wants to hook up the 3 carbs for more horsepower since it quits at 4500 RPM.
            Looking under the hood you might expect a 300-400 HP beast, not a mild mannered cruiser.

JDP/Maryland
            "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
            Thomas Jefferson
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Building a beautiful Automobile YOUR way...PRICELESS!! [^] []

Selling same...Valueless!! [:0]
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Sweet machine and worth every penny. Just not here...
                Which is why it was not offered up here.
                Sorry, Jeff - I disagree. The BIN is too high by about 10 grand.

Chris Pile
                Midway Chapter SDC
                The Studebaker Special
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Never fails to amaze me how many people think their car is worth what they put into it.

Comment

For me, it HAS to be worth more then I put in it, or I don't eat. The trick is to buy it for less then the PO put in it.

JDP/Maryland
                    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                    Thomas Jefferson
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                    X