1957 Packard Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Packard Sedan

Todays Catch-Of-The-Day should fit StudeDave57's taste for sedan's.

Picked up a 1957 Packard sedan with 3 tone Lilac (or whatever the official name is), white, lilac.
    The original supercharged engine is rebuilt and the upholstery is redone. Didn't want to chance driving it over 100 miles, since it's been sitting several year, but seems to run nice.

I can see why people enjoy sitting in those big bench seats, just as much as a big comfy couch, or sofa!
    It has power steering, brakes and windows, along with the wonder bar radio.

It's definitley a Luxury-Liner Clipper Ship to take for a Cruise!

James

The Bell Collection
    Bellingham, WA.
    Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
    Bellingham, WA.

Not to mention it's his Dad's favorite "Studebaker"!! [^]
    Just the best Studebaker ever built! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by Bellingham Studenut

Todays Catch-Of-The-Day should fit StudeDave57's taste for sedan's.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi James

Congratulation on buying a fine Y-body luxury Clipper, it and the President Classics are the nicest driving and riding Studebakers available. Finding one with power options is a real plus as well, will make your drives in it even more enjoyable. The color combination is Lilac and Arctic White Code P5775. It is one of the more striking period combinations and looks particularly good on the '57 Clipper.

When you attend a general make car show, yours will be the only one for people to see and enjoy. You will want to study-up on how '57 Clippers came to be, be ready to disabuse the unknowledgeable of the nastier opinions voiced what terrible Studebaker supposedly had done to poor Packard. There are good sources for facts and analysis of what truly happened if you'd like me to point you to them, let me know.

I don't have a '57 Clipper Town Sedan yet but hope to in the future. So enjoy, you've bought yourself a fine rare car.

Steve

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bellingham Studenut

[font=Arial]Picked up a 1957 Packard sedan with 3 tone Lilac (or whatever the official name is), white, lilac.

The Bell Collection
        Bellingham, WA.
        Too bad you didn't have it last June parked next to this regal Red Clipper; another color that was exclusive to '57 Packards. Cumberland Gray was the other one.

Craig

Comment

I really love the '57 Packards. They were all really such beautiful cars![8D][:X]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Nice catch, James! [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have a 57 clipper I plan on selling, right now it is brown and white but the original color is the same as yours, this car runs real nice and drive really good thing have been redone in the past but still has a ways to go to be a show car, super charger is in place but belt is off but turns by hand as it should, Dick Steinkamp has sen this car a number of times, right now I can not put pictures here but if anyone is interested I can e-mail them some . this is a nice car no power windows or seats but does have the wonder bar radio price is $6000.00 i like the car but am cutting back on the fleet.....bob
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

That is an excellent car. I am a little biased as my first Studebaker was a 1957 President Classic that I bought after the original owner used it one year. We also had a 1958 Packard for nine years.

Your car is two-tone, not "3 tone". They two-toned them with three levels of color. A tri-tone would be like my Speedster with three different colors on it (think Neopolitan ice cream).

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Sweet ride!!! We've seen this one on eBay, Auto Trader, and the like for many years. I'm glad to see it's going to a good home~ FINALLY!!!
                  I can't wait to see it in person, and I really can't wait to see it parked next to 'Cleo' at a show or Cruise-In someday soon...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                  San Diego, Ca. (for now...)
                  San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                  '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
                  '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                  '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                  '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                  '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
                  '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Great catch!

Comment

Beautiful car, great color!

I know hardcore Packard folks don't like these cars, but I find the trim dimensions and low beltline, refreshing. Handsome car!

I've never ridden in a Studebaker that wasn't a Lark, a modified Avanti, or a single GT Hawk. Sometime I'd sure like to ride in a Packardbaker or '56-'58 sedan.

Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

The car was being sold by a vintage car dealer for a long time, but his price was too high and nobody was wanting it.
                        He was tired of storing and selling it and said make an offer, so we went to the dealership, looked and made an offer we thought would be good and got a good deal.
                        Something few Casco's would do is try to buy from a classic car dealer, then making a small offer. The economy isn't helping sell many toys unless they are in perfect condition and highly collectible models. This leaves more bread & butter models a bargain now, if people want and can afford them in this economy.
                        Most of his customers were wanting more common high dollar classics and no sedans (although he has a vintage Rolls Royce).
                        Being a Packard-Baker isn't easy for most with lots of comments that it's "Not a true Packard, or Studebaker" doesn't help.
                        A Porche club was visiting the dealership as I was loading it and walked past. One person said it was a very interesting car, while another answered "nothing is Packard except the tail lights".

A Cross Breed Mut, or ?
                        It's still a interesting, nice, very comfortable car.

James

The Bell Collection
                        Bellingham, WA.
                        Bellingham, WA.

Comment

I'm envious! Everytime I see one in this color scheme, I think about the one in Pick-a-Part in Los Angeles 20 years ago. It was in really nice shape with nothing but it's taillights missing.[}] I have the body tag off of it and the rear sway bar does duty under our 60 Lark ragtop.
                          The holes to mount it to the Lark's frame were just waiting for a sway bar to come along!

As to the Clipper, when I went back to that yard a month later - it was long gone.[V]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

James, indeed a real catch. I love that car. Nice going.

Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Craig,

The one in Oregon was what made me drool and want one. I didn't get pictures of it, so glad to see you took some. If you have any other pics showing engine and interior I would enjoy seeing them.
                              Nobody would want to give bad Packard-Baker comments, when it's in that nice of condition, so hopefully I will get this one restored to that level.
                              The following pictures shows the seats are done correctly, but can't tell the vinyl is lillac (except door panel) because of the flash.

I am looking for the following (NOS or show condition) 57 Packard Sedan parts if anyone has any to sell (let me know):
                              * Back up and Parking lenses
                              * Horn cap
                              * All the emblems, including ship wheel for grill
                              * Hood ornament
                              * Grill
                              * Right bumper bullet
                              * Left rear fender trim peice
                              * Left lower windsheild stainless
                              * Rear antena's
                              * Electric window switches
                              * Rear fenders (and possibly front)
                              * Trunk lid
                              * Any Dealer Advertising banners, posters, etc.

Thanks,

James

The Bell Collection
                              Bellingham, WA.
                              Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Working...
                              X