3 sp shifter replacement for stock units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 sp shifter replacement for stock units

I may not get around to doing this in the near term but it would be nice to know

For a while I have read how sloppy the stock Studebaker four speed shifter unit was and how a Hurst is a good replacement.

Down the road I will get my 1962 shifter bracket that I will use to convert a V8 Overdrive to a floor shift model. I probabily could find an old Studebaker three speed shifter somewhere, buy a few parts from SASCO and discover how bad the stock three speed units were in the 1962 taxi and some Avantis since the three and four speed shifters shared a lot of parts and likely share the same quirks.

or

What model of Hurst did three speed users buy to replace the crappy three speed shifter in their Avantis both shift unit and handle, well maybe the handle for the Larks.

Thanks

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
    The Replacements.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

Don't have a part number, but the Hurst shifter on the T-85 OD in my GT Hawk is referred to as a "Mystery Shifter". I'd think any shifter designed for a T-85, or for a T-86 would work on those transmissions, regardless of the brand of automoble the trans was in.

Comment

Hurst made three main levels of quality three and four-speed shifters, with the Indy and Mystery shifters at the lower end, Competition Plus being the most common, and V-gate and other race-only shifters at the top end.

The basic shifter unit was fitted to different transmissions and cars with a variety of brackets and shifter arms. It is more difficult than one might imagine at first glance to make a universal shifter fit a particular car and transmission. Unless one has the kit-to-fit, it is almost impossible to do with the transmission installed in the car.

I ALWAYS pull the transmission, (C-cab trucks excepted) fabricate the brackets, bend the arms, adjust everything, check for operation, then install the transmission and shifter together WITHOUT the shifter handle. Once everything is back in the car, then the handle is installed.

The shifter usually isn't a comfortable reach, or doesn't work with a bench seat or hits the dash; then the search begins for a different handle.

Bottom line, a good Hurst shifter transforms the driving experience is worth the investment of time and money.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Another idea is the Jeep top shifter conversion for the T86.

Gord Richmond did the one for my Ute...

It has a very nice tight shift pattern.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Jeff, I have the bracket ready to cut, but if you are going to change the shifter to something other than stock I will not put any holes for the shifter or threads in it. Let me know what you are doing, you change your mind more than my old lady.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jeff T.

For a while I have read how sloppy the stock Studebaker four speed shifter unit was and how a Hurst is a good replacement.

I'm sure when they were old and worn out, they were sloppy.

The stock one in my '63 Hawk was nice and tight and rattle free. Not as nice as the Hurst Competition Plus in my Starliner for power shifting, but actually nicer for every day driving.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Alan,

Drill the bracket holes in the stock location.

Just exploring options

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
              The Replacements.
              \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
              The Replacements.

Comment

Working...
              X