Canadian model 47' champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian model 47' champion

Alright, my three pack manual set was delivered last night. When I was looking at the Index pages of the Body Parts Manual it was indicating that the Body tags on the firewall do give information as to build number of the body.

Just to clarify, My car is a Canadian model, listed on the title as a 1947, I suspect it is a 48? It does have a 47 grill and emblems.
    Did the 48 Studebakers actually have 47 front ends? The pick from the first car off the line does have a 47 front end, so that is it safe to say they were carry over parts?

Anyhow the body tag shows the following
    Model H8G-W3
    Body #4895
    Trim# T-7364
    Paint# P-2214

There is a small tag duplicating
    G4895

So translated is the W3 equals Four Door
    G= Champion
    4895 = body build sequence.

According to reading the parts were "Assembled" in Canada.
    But here is where it gets strange.
    The vin code
    G708090
    It doesn't seem to fall in sequence with the Canadian serial numbers except it is in the 7xxxxx line. But the 8009 of the code later in a series of cars post the 1950's.
    All the body tags and the vin tag say Studebaker of Canada on them.

Where I'm going with this is, I'm at an impasse right now. Do I restore the car 100% to original, down to the paint?
    Or is the car far enough along in the build sequence for canada that it doesn't matter?
    I plan on restoring the car back to near original but adding a radio package "factory style" and we are thinking a different color than tan.

Any comments?

I'm not totally sure but I don't think there were any '47 cars produced in Hamilton.

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato
    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Yea, I'm thinking it's a 48 and the title was mixed up over the years because the front end is a 47 grill. http://www.thehamiltonchaptersdc.ca/ at this site the Hamilton group has a history page with a couple pics. Notice the first car and the car on the trailer below it have 47 grills.

Comment

Well that link didn't work On the right side of the screen is a history page link.

Comment

You need to remember that just because '48 was the 1st year for Cdn cars that doesn't mean that there wasn't US producted '47s up here being sold at dealers as new one year old cars.

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ
          1964 Daytona HT
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Interesting! 8G is a 1949 model, and that's confirmed by the starting serial number of a Canadian production '49 Champion: G703101.
            The 'First 1948 Car Off the Line' photo does have a '48 grill. Champion grill differences are shown in the chassis parts book on page 82.
            Now, I wonder what the engine number is on this car?

[img][img]
            Dwain G.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

The more I look at this car the more questions I have. On the chassis the main piece on the back of the frame is Round instead of square. Also shown on the 8g model. I'm new to the studebakers so I have not been around any other 47 to see if they are the same or not.

With the engine code I tried looking at it last night. I'm thinking it maybe a replacement engine as I can only make out two numbers stamped in the boss. Those two numbers are 33.
              I'm going to try to get more detail by removing some scale rust from the pad today.
              The numbers on the side of the block known as the casting numbers are
              D
              H67
              524807-13
              The distributor, IGC-4805 6-D
              Starter M2-4151 6-D
              Steering box T125997
              Carb
              Carter WE 6-403
              Intake F7 5253329 88
              Head cover 199697 35 or 38 C-6-16

Comment

That engine block casting number was used from 1950 through '54, so it probably is a replacement factory 'stripped engine'. The manifold, cylinder head, distributor, and starter all have numbers used in 1949 and are probably original to the car.
                Do the numbers on your title agree with the serial number plate in the door jamb? Unfortunately, production orders for Canadian built cars are not available before the 1960 model year.

[img][img]
                Dwain G.

Comment

Dwain, yep it sure does. I think some one put a 47 grill and hood on the car. The rest of the car is definately an 8G, Frame, gas tank mounts, steering wheel, ect. Oh, well. I guess that means that I don't have to be to exact on the resto unless I want to put the 49 grill and emblems on it.

Comment

Just a guess, but I think this was a simple typo on the title somewhere in the past. Your DMV will probably correct it for you if you want them to.

[img][img]
                    Dwain G.

Comment

Working...
                    X