Overdrive question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive question

A friend of mine says I need the rear from my donor car to make the overdrive tranny work. Is this right? Thank you.
    Joe

If he is talking about the REAR AXLE, absolutely not! Usually the ratio IS lower geared with Overdrive cars than Standard Trans. but with today's fuel prices you can live with just a little bit slower acceleration at start-up than they had when fuel was .25 cents a gallon!

Typically, assuming a 1950's Commander V-8, you may have a 4.09 ratio now and a Overdrive car would have had a 4.56, so you will be two ranges HIGHER for even better MPG than an original Overdrive equipped car! [^]

It is pretty easy to find out if the rear axle ratio is compatible with an Overdrive, just wipe the grease from the tag under one of the lower bolts on the left side of the rear covers of the two axles and report the ring and pinion numbers of teeth, or you simply divide the smaller number into the larger, to get the ratio and report to us!

It is true in the case of a 85 HP 6 Cyl. that you don't want to get the ratio too high (low numerically) for adequate POWER to get started! [:0]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Just an update-My friend was speaking to someone who worked on Nash cars. Also my engine is a six. Joe

Comment

Most Nashes, Hudsons, Ramblers, Packards, Fords and Chrysler Prods. all used the same Borg Warner R10 or R11 Overdrive unit and they had nothing to do with the rear axle, except the ratio, to a small degree! [:0]

So just ignore what is obviously wrong, and check your ratios.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X