Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1953 original interior fabric question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 original interior fabric question...

Ok? What is: Pile & Cord (Striped Medium Taupe)?

I've also read about: "Woolen Broad-cloth in Hickory Beige", "Airway Grey", "Cardinal Red Nylon", and the "Scarlet Red/Golden Tan vinyl leatherette"... And we also have: Flax (cream) vinyl Leatherette?

Would someone please decode what the above means,in todays world???

If you've got a photo of original stuff, please post.

Can't thank you enough!!!

quote:Originally posted by wmsteve

Ok? What is: Pile & Cord (Striped Medium Taupe)?
    I've also read about: "Woolen Broad-cloth in Hickory Beige", "Airway Grey", "Cardinal Red Nylon", and the "Scarlet Red/Golden Tan vinyl leatherette"... And we also have: Flax (cream) vinyl Leatherette?
    Would someone please decode what the above means,in todays world???
    If you've got a photo of original stuff, please post.
    Can't thank you enough!!!
    This is a scan of the upholstery explanation from page 123 of John Bridge's book Studebaker's Finest, A History & Restoration Guide for the '53-'54 Studebaker Sports Coupe.

And, pix from pages 120 and 121 of the same book-

Here is an actual seat in Airway Gray-

The Airway Gray is what was in my '53. I have tried since 1966 to find it with no joy.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine
    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Paul,

Amongst all that stuff I sent you, there's alot of swatches of original and repro stuff for 53s and 54s.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

SMS will MAKE anything you want as long as you have a good sample. You do, however have to get out your wallet and wait about a year. They basically charge you a BOATLOAD for the 20 yards YOU need, make up about 500 yards and then sell the rest as "origianl" to others looking for the fabric for the following several years.

Comment

Phantom had a batch of the Airway Gray reloomed a couple years ago. I believe they still have it, and others.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks for the scan (I do own this book) and especially, the photo of an original Airway Gray seat! Is this what they called "Pile & Cord" do you think?

Also notice the covered seat panel(PN: 2127-)on your seat. I have a Body Parts Catalog dated May 1957 that has a footnote that states that they were ALL covered in the U.S. and Canada before 1956.

Comment

That material shown is COMPLETELY different than was in my '53 coupe. I found some very close to mine at SMS in Oregon. I sent them a sample and they responded with what they had that was close. Phantom had nothing close.

duane miller

Comment

Thanks Duane,

I hope that you can post a picture of what you found. I too, found some pieces of what I believe Mr. Bridges refers to as "Hickory Beige", that He says was standard for a Regal Starlight Coupe, in my 14G-C3 DeLuxe coupe. I'll post a photo of it.(could be that the seats were changed...down the road of course?)

I have found that this is a confusing issue when it comes to the "cheaper" Starlight coupes. Everybody has focused on the Starliners and I'm just interested in the history of it all... Thanks.

Comment

I haven't had any luck getting a photo placed here. send me your email address and I'll get a photo of their material off to you. They never list a part # so I can't pass that on to you. My email is dulymiller@mchsi.com

duane miller

Comment

Ok, the first photo is what Mr. Miller has a roll of that he got from SMS that is very,very close to what he found in his car. The next two (one without flash and one with)is what I found in my car. What have WE got here?

In need of Professional help...

Comment

The 2 pictures that are of the same fabric wmsteve posted are the same as fabric I was given 20 years ago by a long time SDC member who claimed he got a role from an upholsterer at Studebaker who told him it was 1951 fabric.
                      Jim

jrock

Comment

Are there any Judges of this class out there that read this Blog?

You would think that, a car that only had two choices: Loma Gray and Montery Beige that, this subject would have someone with a definitive opinion out there!

If I'm willing to spend $6,000 + (maybe) to get my car "the way it was" I figured that, someone would give us some good insights, from their learned knowlage base?!?

Come on folks; does anyone really know what my car had, or do I just get points deducted because you never really knew what it had?

Comment

Ahem....I put Cardinal Red Nylon in my '53 coupe, had it judged twice at Int'l Meets, and got no deductions for upholstery. Cardinal Red Nylon was available only for K bodies in '53. Red vinyl was available for C bodies. Someone told me the fabric wasn't stiff enough, was too soft, but no deductions were given.

I think a good looking upholstery job is more important that the fabric. This isn't Pebble Beach.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                          Tom Bredehoft
                          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                          (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
                          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                          All Indiana built cars

Comment

I wish I had instant recall memory of all the family cars as I was growing up, but I don't. I can only say your sample reminds me more of a '52 material, and the pin stripe sample seems more like '50-'51.

[img][img]
                            Dwain G.
                            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Ok. I got a little "testy" on 11/28. We're all getting old and, I'm just trying to tap the "memory well" for the future Stude-Kids' but still... What is: Pile & Cord (Striped Medium Taupe)in 1953??? Anyone out there gotta' opinion? I thought that this was a simple question?

Dwain, What a great picture with your' Buddy! You should feel LUCKY you have a family with such a GREAT TASTE in cars...

Comment

Working...
                              X