PDA

View Full Version : Tranmission Cooling

Aussie Hawk
11-21-2006, 03:42 AM
Hi guys,

I've got a '62 Hawk with standard auto transmission. My question is can you fit an oil cooler to these type of boxes ? I've looked for the take off points but can't find any, am I really being blind here or just dumb?

Cheers
Matt
Brisbane, Australia

StudeRich
11-21-2006, 03:49 AM
Matt; you need a Trans from a Police Car, Taxi, Truck, '57-'58 Golden Hawk, or R Series Lark or Hawk with the Heavy Duty Flight-O-Matic coluum shift. They have the heavy duty case, I think I would be rather involved to convert because the fittings (both on the right side) do not just dump into the case.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

kmul221
11-21-2006, 09:45 AM
In my years of cooking meals on the transmission hump in automatics
& feeling as though the heater was on (worse in C-K bodied cars).I have deduced that most of the heat comes from the torque converter area .My solution without looking for a HD trans & installing a cooler is to put a good & exrta layer of insulation over the hump under the carpet.Another insulating material is the space-age foil type found at most swap-meets..I have used this on a couple of Stud.automatics.I even glued it on the underside of the hump back as so it can't be seen from under hood.I have found this cuts heat transfer into the cab by 50% & makes driving more comfortable on hot days.Just a cheap fix,but it helps.

Aussie Hawk
11-21-2006, 04:34 PM
As usual you guys come through.

I have aleady installed extra insulation under the carpet on the transmisson tunnel,(the high density foam with the silver backing), but haven't had her on the road yet to test it out.

I've also heard of the extra heat exchange tubes through the oil pan,(that was my next move if the insulation didn't work).

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers from Down Under.

Matt

poppopstude
11-21-2006, 05:13 PM
i know its not pure but how about an adapter to chevy overdrive 700r4 better petrol mileage too

StudeRich
11-22-2006, 04:52 AM
Wait a minute here!!![:0][:0] I don't get it, where in Matt's original post does it say anything about INTERIOR heat?? I told you how to get a Trans that will run stronger, able to do 1 to 2 manual shifts without major damage, and LAST LONGER ! [^] I guess I misread what you were looking for, I thought it was about keeping the clutches from burning up? Me, I could care less about interior heat, I want a car that [u]LASTS</u>, why do you think I own Studebakers? [:0]

quote:Originally posted by Aussie Hawk

Hi guys,
I've got a '62 Hawk with standard auto transmission. My question is can you fit an oil cooler to these type of boxes ? I've looked for the take off points but can't find any, am I really being blind here or just dumb? Cheers Matt

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Dick Steinkamp
11-22-2006, 08:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
Me, I could care less about interior heat,

Hey Rich, that's because we live up here in the great Pacific Northwest. We'd pay EXTRA for interior heat [:o)]:D[8D]

http://static.flickr.com/100/301465853_2dbe07b7c6_m.jpg
Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA