Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want a Stude as a daily driver, but what model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a Stude as a daily driver, but what model?

Hi all,

First, I just want to say how much I enjoy this forum and appreciate how generous everyone is with their knowledge and experience. I am fairly new to old car collecting but have jumped in with both feet and am having a great time. Learning what to look for when shopping for a project has been a real learning experience!

I have decided that I would like to restore a Studebaker as my daily driver and since I have not seen a Studebaker I don't like, I don't know which one to shop for. Would you please share your opinions on which models would be best suited for comfort and reliability as a daily driver?

Thank you in advance, I appreciate your guidance!

Terri Smith
    63 GT Hawk parts on ebay:

Terri - I only have experience with my 54, but if I were to chose a daily driver, I think I would pick one of the late model larks. They look good and there appear to be a lot of parts at reasonable prices.

Choice of year and body style would be up to you but there seems to be quite a number in good condition from forum members and Ebay.

Bob

Comment

59-66 Lark or Lark type
      Klif

55 Speedster
      55 Speedster/Street Machine
      63 Avanti R2
      64 Convertible R1

Comment

A 4 door Lark. Cheap, comfortable, and great little drivers. If you get a 6, stay away from automatics.

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I agree with the guys above regarding the Larks. My first Stude was a 63 4 door, six cylinder with 3 speed trans. It was manual steering and brakes but I found it very easy to drive. It was a great car and I still miss it 24 years later.

Jim

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"
          Fozzie Bear in 'The Muppet Movie'

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada
          \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

Daily driver...Lark.

The right size. Room for 6. Easy driving. (Relatively) modern brakes. Good power with the V8. Good economy with the 6. Excellent visibility. Great parts availability. Low initial cost.

I'd get a 4 door. Solid. Handy. Lowest cost.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Terri Smith

Would you please share your opinions on which models would be best suited for comfort and reliability as a daily driver?
              '63-'66 Lark/Commander sedan with 3/OD. 4-door if you carry adults in the back more than twice per month; 2-door otherwise. '63 or Stude-engined '64 if you're a purist; McKinnon-engined Hamilton car if you'd ever consider non-South Bend power and want a very slight ease-of-service advantage.

Now... I'm looking forward to learning what YOU decide you want - and why. That's what makes this hobby interesting

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
              In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
              If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

And, gosh... wouldja lookee here? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...cks#ht_500wt_0

(edited to add link)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Daily driver...Lark.

The right size. Room for 6. Easy driving. (Relatively) modern brakes. Good power with the V8. Good economy with the 6. Excellent visibility. Great parts availability. Low initial cost.

I'd get a 4 door. Solid. Handy. Lowest cost.

My thoughts exactly!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Of course this is a personal thing. I'd choose (and suggest) a 59-60 6 cyl Lark with OD transmission. Light car, good mileage (I got 29.25 mpg in one on an interstate, once) Simple to maintain. a four door will be less pricey, but a two door is lighter. Lightness equals handling and economy.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                  Tom Bredehoft
                  '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                  '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                  (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
                  '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                  All Indiana built cars

Comment

Now wait a minute What wrong with a 55- 58 4 dr. sedans? and I have a 55 project that needs a new home. V8 Auto. and the asking price is right, $2500.00

Ebon...
                    [img][/img]

"I sweat to keep others cool"

Comment

64 4 door Lark. The 64 specifically because the sheet metal is so easy to find and inexpensive. 6 cylinders are good with 3spd OD, but the 259 would have more power. I'd also stress the 3speed Overdrive transmission, probably the best overall transmission that Studebaker offered in a Lark.

Nick

Comment

I would recommend the 1928 big 6 roadster!Naw, just kiddin'...Seriously, I would recommend a Chevybaker (read '65 or '66).Straight 6 or V-8, the choice is up to you.Just the right size and they can hold their own on the highway.Do yourself a favor and get one with power steering if possible.[Side note here-Went to a parts store to get radiator hoses for my '66 Commander.Guy said they didn't have them/couldn't get them.I then asked if they had them for a '66 Nova SS with a 327(same hoses).Not only did they have them,but all the counter guys there wanted to know how long I had my 'Nova'....Priceless!!]

Comment

A couple questions, Terri; I see you have parts from various cars on ebay. Has your family ever had a driveable Stude, or just parted out cars? You will get many tips here, but what do you picture yourself driving? I always suggest looking at the Members Pictures Forum under All Forums and see what you like best and ask about them after that if you see one that catches your eye. Finding one with updated brakes and other 2008 technology upgrades for reliability would be perfect, but most can be built to your taste with that in mind later.

Comment

Hey Terri,
                            I'm going to key in here before this topic explodes. I only have driven Larks on a daily basis for about 30 years. But don't forget the Studie trucks. They would make a great driver also. I would go for a V/8 with OD in a Lark 59 to 66. The 65 & 66 did have c&*^y's in them but were good cars. The four doors are roomier and cheaper like were mentioned. The two doors are sportier and a little more expensive. Don't jump the gun & wait for the one that catches your eye. You will do fine! If you can work on them yourself. Your options will be endless.[]

Gordon

Comment

Terri--

Late-model Lark-type for sure. The 4-doors are seriously roomy. I'd add, too, that whether a six auto is the kiss of death depends on what sort of driving you're doing: that's the driveline in my '62 two-door sedan, and for the driving I do--a mix of puttering off to local cruises and the occasional longer trundle along country roads--it's just fine, thanks, and quite good on gas too. (I've had people ask me whether the engine shrieks on the highway. Haven't been on that sort of highway that often in the Lark, but when I have, no, what I get is a nice baritone BOOM from the engine room, and Betty will actually accelerate up the Niagara Escarpment pretty handily on the 403. Admittedly, a two-door post is one of the lighter Larks.)

Looking forward to eventually seeing pix of your chosen Stude here on the forum!

Cheers
                              S.

Comment

Working...
                              X