Starting vin# for 1961 P-2 Champs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting vin# for 1961 P-2 Champs?

Recently I read here in the forum (I think I did anyway) the starting vin# for the P-2 (spaceside) equipped 61 Champs, but for the life of me can't find it. The closest I got was a post estimating around 750 were made for the 61 model year. Anyone have that info or was I dreaming?

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Warren, I THINK as close as we got to that, was agreeing that the middle of the 1961 production run was the end of the old, obsolete 1953 (1930's look) P1 bed, except some special orders and fleets.

I guess I am the only one who remembers well, the times when these came out, the time that "everyone wanted a FLEETSIDE BOX" like Ford invented in 1957, even GM, Chevy copied them and incorporated them into the mainline, (not a specialty Cameo or Apache) by 1960! So that is why an inch or so wider on each side, than the Cab [u]ON A TRUCK</u> did not, should not and in my opinion DOES not matter! It was being "in style" that truly mattered, so it was a very good and timely move to dump that obsolete old bed, and use one that the styling and wheelwell shape matched the Cab, even though the P1 was THE BEST pickup bed ever made, hands down, to this day! [^]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
      ...even though the P1 was THE BEST pickup bed ever made, hands down, to this day! [^]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      Phew! I was getting worried there Rich until I read your last line.[:0][}]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
      May 23 & 24, 2009?
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
      X