Custom Flywheels for OHV projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Flywheels for OHV projects

Since I have a free moment I thought I would ask if anyone knows of a vendor that can make a flywheel for an odd application. My Y1 transmission project has ground to a halt because of various reasons...

Stock ohv crank pilot will not accept stock T86/96 pilots and pulling ohv crank for extra machining may get expensive/complicated... I do not want to tear down a good running engine (at this time)

Stock ohv six flywheel is too small (12 vs. 13 inches) but will accept standard Champ truck input shaft and pilot bearing but stock starter drive (uses v8 starter) will not come close enough to start car.

My odd thought is... can some vendor make a V8 sized flywheel with a center hub for the ohv pilot or will some other manufacturer's stock flywheel work so I can bolt a number of parts together to get what I want?

If I have to get a part made it may be easier to eat the cost just to avoid machining a whole lot of other parts.

If I have confused a whole lot of folks, I am truely sorry. I am trying to find the most cost effective way to install a T86 hybred transmission behind an OHV six like a Y1 taxi when most of the original parts no longer exist (unless someone has an 8e ohv truck parts engine on their parts pile)

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
    The Replacements.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

Jeff- I sort of have the same project going as you do. I bought a rebuilt OHV 6 block from a rebuilder; he had it left over in his shop from years before when a customer never showed to pick it up. Then I got a head, had it tested for cracks and then had hardened valve seats put in. And I had a T86 3 spd w/OD laying around that came out of a '56 Power Hawk.

I had heard that in '64 and maybe '63 Stude put T86s behind the six cylinder in the Champ trucks. I was told that they used the V8 bell housing with an adapter plate to make it mate up. A parts vendor in PA told me he had said bell housing and plate he would sell to me. So I bought those two pieces. And that was as far as I got as of this summer. I was wondering what I would do for a flywheel. I'm guessing that Stude used a V8 flywheel and drilled it to match the OHV crank- but I'm guessing on that.

So anyway, if Stude did it then we can too. But I bet it will take a re-drilled V8 flywheel.

Comment

Jeff- I have a top-quality old-school machine shop here that could do anything like that without a problem. About 15 years ago I had a Chevy truck with a 454 BB that I wanted to put a SB in, but keep the rest of the drivetrain. I was trying to figure it out, and went to see Bill... made my BB flywheel into a SB by altering the center hole and machining off the balancing weights. Never had a problem with it or anything he does. He's in his mid-80s and still works every day. Builds engines for his antique racer- made his own pistons, rods, cylinder head, even his own transmission! And, his prices are VERY fair. He's a well-known, local trasure.

If you don't figure anything out locally, this guy's your answer. You just have to make sure you know how you want it, and your measurements are exact. His work is perfect!

Let me know if you need him- I'll be glad to handle it, since I'm there all the time anyway[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Jeff, Leon is right: the '63/'64 truck 6's have a V8 bell housing, and I think same sized flywheel. I'll meaure mine tonight and even take a few pix, though it has not been machined yet for the 185 OHV project and is rather rusty. It's a heavy sucker too, and I'll ask the race shop that will balance the engine, if they can shave a couple of pounds off at the periphery, where it'll make the most difference.

quote:Originally posted by Jeff T.

Since I have a free moment I thought I would ask if anyone knows of a vendor that can make a flywheel for an odd application. My Y1 transmission project has ground to a halt because of various reasons...

Stock ohv crank pilot will not accept stock T86/96 pilots and pulling ohv crank for extra machining may get expensive/complicated... I do not want to tear down a good running engine (at this time)

Stock ohv six flywheel is too small (12 vs. 13 inches) but will accept standard Champ truck input shaft and pilot bearing but stock starter drive (uses v8 starter) will not come close enough to start car.

My odd thought is... can some vendor make a V8 sized flywheel with a center hub for the ohv pilot or will some other manufacturer's stock flywheel work so I can bolt a number of parts together to get what I want?

If I have to get a part made it may be easier to eat the cost just to avoid machining a whole lot of other parts.

If I have confused a whole lot of folks, I am truely sorry. I am trying to find the most cost effective way to install a T86 hybred transmission behind an OHV six like a Y1 taxi when most of the original parts no longer exist (unless someone has an 8e ohv truck parts engine on their parts pile)

Jeff T.

The Replacements.
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jeff T.

My Y1 transmission project has ground to a halt because of various reasons...
          I don't quite understand this? You plan on using an OHV-6 correct? Is the transmission you are trying to use a stock V8 or 6-cyl trans from a Y1 ?

quote:Stock ohv crank pilot will not accept stock T86/96 pilots and pulling ohv crank for extra machining may get expensive/complicated... I do not want to tear down a good running engine (at this time)

Again.. the only way the input shaft won't fit in the OHV crank's pilot bushing- is if you are trying to use a V8 T-86E transmission.
          I have the T-86E from behind a OHV-6 in a '62 Y1. The OHV had the adapter plate, V8 bellhousing, the V8 Flywheel, and V8 starter, but the transmission input shaft is SMALLER diameter than a V8 T-86E.
          My OHV 6-cyl Y1 T-86E is a straight 3-spd with NO overdrive. But, if the input shaft will interchange with an OD trans, or an OD tailshaft will adapt to the T-86E - we may be able to work something out. I believe I may have the Y1 Flywheel (it's V8 sized)...

**a few notes about the Y1 T-86:
          • The 1st/reverse gearset is straight cut (probably non-syncrhronized)
          • OD probably wasn't a common item in Taxi applications
          • I'm not sure what the 1st gear ratio is, but would assume it's pretty low compared to a standard transmission

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
          Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

Well, I may just have a problem. I had not realized that the early OHV6's had the pilot in the flywheel, since my truck has it in the crank, like later 6's and v8s. My spare flywheel is the larger one which uses the pilot in the crank. Now I'm putting a 185 crank in an engine for this truck, so I don't know what I'll do about the pilot! I guess I better get the crank machined for a V8 pilot before I finish building the thing.

Ron Dame
            '63 Champ
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

What I have lying around and hope to bolt together are:

1. ohv six, currently bolted to an automatic.
              2. the rear engine plate from a 8E/Y1 application.
              3. a V8 bellhousing, ford pattern.
              4. A T90 taxi transmission for ohv application with a T86 case swapped in to bolt to #3 (I can even use a T86 overdrive if I desire)
              5. a V8 flywheel (has small hole in center)
              or
              6. A Champ six truck flywheel (has pilot in center of flywheel)

The engine, engine plate, bellhousing and transmission bolt together fine. Either flywheel will bolt directly to the crankshaft.

How to transmit the power to the transmission is the problem.

I have V8 T86 input shafts which have a +/- 1" (or so) diameter and are designed to fit into the crank pilot ov the V8 models and in the 8E ohv cranks (which I dont have). If I had a loose 8e crank this all might be moot. Machine the 8E crank, swap it in and bolt it all various parts together but I have a stock Lark ohv six that I hope to leave intact because there is nothing wrong with it (execpt the crapy carb)

I have a Champ truck input shaft that will work on a T86 (shorter that V8 model) but this application will need the truck flywheel which is smaller than the V8 flywheel and the starter drive will not mesh. (unless I can find a bendix with a larger gear that will work with the OHV ring gear)

The pilot on a typical ohv six is only about 3/4" by 1", I believe the pilot on the 8E crank is 1"+ by 1.5 " deep, same as the V8 pilots.

If there was a special input shaft for the 62 and earlier Y1 application using the stock 61-63 OHV crank, forgive me for I have never seen one, I am using what parts I have lying around or can obtain readily.

An odd thought I had today was if an insert could be machined for the V8 flywheel that would friction fit in the flywheel center hole have a nub that would fit in the OHV pilot and be bored as to accept a ohv six pilot bearing. Thus a V8 flywheel could be used, the starter drive would engage, the truck six input shaft would fit in the pilot bearing.

Perhaps I am making this all to complicated, it all seem so easy when I was reading the parts manual, take x, y and z parts and bolt them together but part y has not been available since 1967 and part z... don't even think abou part z.

As far as comments:

quote:I have the T-86E from behind a OHV-6 in a '62 Y1. The OHV had the adapter plate, V8 bellhousing, the V8 Flywheel, and V8 starter, but the transmission input shaft is SMALLER diameter than a V8 T-86E.
              Studeman

How much smaller? My six was not an original Y1 and its pilot is only about 3/4 or so. a local transmission expert said he could turn down a V8 input shaft but it would have to be turned down to around 1/2" to have an correct sized pilot bearing in the crank.

quote:Now I'm putting a 185 crank in an engine for this truck, so I don't know what I'll do about the pilot! I guess I better get the crank machined for a V8 pilot before I finish building the thing.
              Ron,

If my 185 crank was not chewed, I figured to have its pilot bored out to accept the larger input shaft. If your truck transmission does have the longer input shaft it will need to be done, but the upside is you can convert to a larger flywheel, bigger clutch, more transmission options.

Bams,

Shame I am not closer to you and you ace machinist. I would almost need to bring in to him a V8 flywheel, a ohv truck flywheel and an ohv crank and discribe what I wanted

"Machine a flywheel that looks like this but has this center hub like this one and here's the type of crank it will bolt onto"

Jeff T.

The Replacements.
              The Replacements.

Comment

OK, Now I see the problem...mix and match parts! I have the same problem.

It does not help that there are 6 different OHV 6 cranks, and some of the differences I do not know. There are 2 for the trucks, one for pilot in the crank, one for pilot in the flywheel. On the cars, there are 4 part numbers, which I assume are pilot in crank and pilot in flywheel for standard cars, and the same for Taxis.

So how is a Taxi crank different from a standard car, and how is a truck crank different from the other two? I don't think it has anything to do with full flow or partial flow, but I could be wrong.

Ron Dame
                '63 Champ
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

Oh, and I forgot, I think the idea of an adapter for the V8 flywheel is a good one.

quote:Originally posted by Ron Dame

OK, Now I see the problem...mix and match parts! I have the same problem.

It does not help that there are 6 different OHV 6 cranks, and some of the differences I do not know. There are 2 for the trucks, one for pilot in the crank, one for pilot in the flywheel. On the cars, there are 4 part numbers, which I assume are pilot in crank and pilot in flywheel for standard cars, and the same for Taxis.

So how is a Taxi crank different from a standard car, and how is a truck crank different from the other two? I don't think it has anything to do with full flow or partial flow, but I could be wrong.

Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Jeff,
                    I compared my (2) trannys. The 6-cylinder tranny is a straight 3-speed from a 1962 OHV-equipped original Y1 Taxi. The 2nd is a 1962 259 V-8 3-speed/OD transmission. Below is a comparison of the front of the cases- and input shafts:

If you NEED the Taxi transmission to make things work, It's available, Let's talk.. I have a reasonable shipper.

Ray

Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

Ray,

email sent to you home address

Jeff T.

The Replacements.