PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic lifters for a Stude 289

studelover
11-10-2008, 07:21 PM
I was listening to a conversation at reedsville saturday about some Hydraulic lifters system for a 289, it seems the chrysler lifters could be used however you would need hollow pushrods. Does anyone know or has anyone experimented with this set up? I am going to start building the extra motor that I have for my nephews they want to build my 61 hawk parts car.[:p]It would be nice to have a motor bvuilt that way.

Studebakers forever!

StudeRich
11-10-2008, 07:55 PM
First question: WHY! [:0]

There have been posts just like this before and that is about all anyone could say! [:0]

Solid lifters are much desired by street rodders, hot rodders, performance minded people, race car drivers, drag racers, street racers for a reason...THEY ARE BETTER, rev higher, last longer, less maintenance, cheaper, and most of all perform better!

Yes one or two people have paid too much for conversions and not been able to site any improvement, unless they were QUIETNESS NUTS, and could have noticed a little less engine noise. but I for one, do not usually ride on the engine, since I am usually in the drivers' seat it doesn't bother me! :D

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/studerich/My64Daytona.jpg
StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

JDP
11-10-2008, 08:28 PM
I've owned two Studebakers with the Dave Tbow conversion, works fine, no lifter noise.

JDP/Maryland
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom B
11-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Technical question here.

Solid lifters in my engine, the rockers are liberally lubricated from the top side.

If I would install a theoretical hydraulic lifer set, would not the rockers still be lubed from the top?

WHY would it need hollow push rods?

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
Tom Bredehoft
'53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
'55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
(Under Construction 540 hrs.)
'05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
All Indiana built cars

PackardV8
11-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Do a search here and you'll find lots of threads on this subject.

Sorry Rich and I aren't answering your question, but the hydraulic lifter conversions I have seen didn't seem worth the total cost involved. In fact, the one I knew of which used Rhoads lifters actually didn't perform as well on the top end as before and was noisier at idle besides! I've never seen a reason to spend a bunch of money to fix something which isn't broken. A Studebaker V8 with everything in good fettle is as quiet as the typical hydraulic lifter engine. If rebuilt with hard valve seats, the valve clearance would only need adjusting about once every ten years.

As always, your car, your money, your decision.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

JDP
11-10-2008, 09:50 PM
You need a different cam profile with hydraulic lifters.

JDP/Maryland
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom B
11-10-2008, 10:07 PM
It sure doesn't sound like it's worth the effort to me. My coupe has one rocker that clicks but I can't find it, they are all exactly the same gap. It's a challenge.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
Tom Bredehoft
'53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
'55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
(Under Construction 540 hrs.)
'05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
All Indiana built cars

buddymander
11-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Just take a short section of garden hose, like about three feet long, hold one end up to your ear and the other next to the rockers--you'll find it in short order.

PackardV8
11-10-2008, 11:52 PM
A feeler gauge measures the gap between the two highest points on the rocker arm tip and the valve stem tip. Occasionally the valve stem wears a groove in the rocker tip. The feeler gauge can't see this groove. Use buddymander's method to find the offending unit, then:

1. At idle, just tighten it down until it stops clicking. It will be quiet, but not knowing the actual clearance will give most of us nightmares.
2. With a magnetic base and a dial indicator, position the dial indicator over the tip of the rocker in line with the valve stem. By hand move the rocker and read the actual movement on the dial indicator. Adjust to spec. It may still click, but you'll know you have it per the manual. ;)

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

bkz81
11-11-2008, 04:41 AM
I have a hydralic conversion and I could not be happier with it.

52 Ragtop
11-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I used Chrysler Marine lifters in my 52, push rods needed to be shortened about 1/4"

Jim