49 Commander Model 16A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 49 Commander Model 16A

Dug out my fathers 49 Commander out of a pile of junk in the garage it was placed in there 45+ years ago. I cant figure out how to open the hood? Car is 99.8% intact. Front turn signal lights are missing and antenna is broken other then that it's all there. What is the value or going price for this vehicle in this condition? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

I wonder if it has an inside latch? Many cars did in the 40s.A 41 Chev I worked on had one-not sure about 'Stude. Let me be the first to ask you to post some pics!!

Oglesby,Il.
    "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I will be sure to take a few to post the next time I go down to do some cleaning.

Comment

It has been a long time since I worked on one, but I believe that it has an inside hood release.

16A only says that it is a 1949 Commander. What body style is the car? That will have a large bearing on the value/price. That will range from a low for a four door sedan (non-Land Cruiser) to a high of a convertible.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My 49 commander starlight coupe has an inside hood release. To the left of the steering wheel column as you are sitting in it there should be a row of knobs. Look under the dash. There should be two cables leading into the fire wall. The one on the right is a little fatter and is for overdrive. The thinner one is for the hood. All my knobs are gone; they get brittle with age so be careful pulling on them that you don't break them. If I recall, my 47 commander convertible had an H on the knob and the overdrive maybe an O The headlight switch on the right side of the steering wheel had an L on it and you do not pull on it but rather turn it. Hope this helps. See if you can find an owner's manual on ebay.
          Denny

Comment

Can anyone offer help? In my post it states that I have 4 replies, I don't see where I can access them. I have opened up my topic but it does not show any reply.

Comment

For what ever reason all my replies have shown up once I asked for help : ) I will look this afternoon I am going down my dads. The car is a sedan with suicide doors.

Comment

Like Denny said, there should be a round knob with an 'H' on it to the left of the steering wheel. It looks just like all the other dash knobs. I can get pics if you need.

Welcome to the Forum.

If you can get pictures, email them to mbstude@yahoo.com and I'll be glad to post them here.

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

You failed to "REFRESH" your browser! [:0]

OK, suicide doors, that eliminates: Convertible, 2 Door sedan, Starlight Coupe, and Business Coupe and if it were a 1952, Hardtop also!
                  That does leave the long rear doors with opening vent windows "Land Cruiser" Body code "Y" and the most common; "4 Door Sedan" Body code "W". These Body Tags are found on the right (passenger) side of the engine side, of the firewall.

quote:Originally posted by Commander

For what ever reason all my replies have shown up once I asked for help : ) I will look this afternoon I am going down my dads. The car is a sedan with suicide doors.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                  X