Lifter resurfacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifter resurfacing

I have access to a full machine shop and I was wondering what the process was for resurfacing lifters. I would like to fix a few lifters and then coat them with a teflon type coating to see how they would hold up. Any info would be appreciated.

Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Teflon won't cut it....
    Contact Crane Cams about their new process.
    That might help.
    Jeff[8D]
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

They can be resurfaced in the old style
      valve refacing machines, such as sunnen.
      simply set in v block clamp and do it.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

FWIW, lifters have a spherical radius on the face (think of a small surface section of a sphere from 10" to 30" in diameter, depending on the engine design). There is a special old-school machine to do it, with a jig which has a 1-7 scale and a book listing which setting to give the correct radius for every engine. It may be possible, but I've never seen a valve grinding machine which would give this radius. Also, not all lifters can be resurfaced, some Brand X can't but most Studes can, provided they have never been previously resurfaced.

Agree, teflon definitely won't work on lifters. The only thing I've seen which will stay on lifters is a super-high-dollar "diamond-like-coating" used by the Cup engine builders on lifters and piston pins

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

Jeff,
          there is a company here in NC that is offering some kind of coating for piston skirts, lifters and many industrial applications. One of our local machine shops just started offering this service. I know it's not teflon, but something close to it that has to be baked on, similar to a powder coating process. Hydraulic lifters have to be dissassembled before this process can take place.
          I have requested an information packet from these folks, which includes a sample of the product.
          Now that I have my powder coating stuff set up, including a big oven, I figured that I would give this slippery stuff a chance.

Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC
          Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
          1958 Commander "Christine"
          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
          1955 Commander Sedan
          1964 Champ
          1960 Lark

Comment

The last set of resurfaced lifters I got fron Fairborn Studebaker. They were 50.00 exchange last summer. Jim

Comment

Another option...also from the NASCAR guys......EDM about a .010" hole in the lifter face.
              While on pressurised lifters, oil will actualy squirt onto the cam surface, the non pressurized Stude lifters should also feed oil collected in the lifter onto the cam.
              While not quite as effective, it should help some.
              No idea of the cost invloved.

Mike

Comment

My real question is why are we thinking teflon, DLC or EDM hole? Stude V8s have light valves, low tension springs, larger diameter lifters and gentle cams. They don't chew up lifters like the full-race SBCs do.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                PackardV8

Comment

Jack -

Don't know...
                  You've seen all the doom and gloom (mostly on this board) over the current oils on the market and the lack of zink...
                  Not realizing that "other stuff" has been added to help counteract the lack of zink.

No one believes my old 259 powered Lark in my driveway (you saw it!)...my "daily driver"....runs on a dose of Castrol GTX, 20-50 and Lucas oil additive (used to be Valvoline addditive till they stopped making it) for over 8 years now...with zero oil related problems.

Though.........I have been thinking about using Chrysler solid lifters along with BB Chevy rockers when my engine goes together. Comp Cams sells the Chrysler lifter with the bleed hole for cam oiling...!

MIke

Comment

Hi, Mike,

The more intense cam profile, heavier springs and higher rocker ratio you will be running will load the cam/lifter interface several orders of magnitude greater than that the OEM Stude V8 experiences. Naturally, that may require solutions. That was the reason I was asking the question . . . why are these measures needed. FWIW, I don't think the EDM hole will be of practical benefit without pressurized lifters.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

"spherical radius on the face"

As you said, radiused lifters are the norm. Not sure about Studebaker. But I had one pushrod engine with flat lifters. Renault 16/15.

With spherical faces lifters and If the cam lobe is ground with a slight taper it causes lifter rotation in place of pure sliding, and is insensitive to lifter bore or cam offset.
                      Holding the face/foot of the lifter against the side of another lifter (a straight line in 2D) will reveal the few thousandths of curvature. 2 new (non Renault) lifters placed face to face would "rock". spherical Lifters worn flat or (worse) cupped are junk, and usually so is the matching cam lobe.

Comment

Working...
                      X