PDA

View Full Version : New member questions

CWR
11-09-2008, 02:34 PM
<div align="left"></div id="left">I am a new member and am in the process of building a 54 Champion C. Plans are for a Cadillac 500 engine and TH400 tran (which I have) and a S-10 rear end ( which I also have). I bought a donor 64 Commander 4 door for the 259 engine but have sence decided to use the Cadillac engine and keep the 259 for a spare. The 64 body is beyond restoring.
Here Is my question - What can I use from the 64 to improve the 54?

1. Steering Box? My 54 has a Saginaw

2. Breaks?

3. Suspension?

4. Any other parts?

This is a great site and all help is very much appreciated.

Bud Roberts
Eden, NC

Alan
11-09-2008, 02:46 PM
1. Keep it
2. Use the brakes off the 64
3. Remove all front end suspension pieces, you will only need the springs now but those long lower arms crack.
4. Any pieces off the 64 that anyone can use that are straight and not rusted.

CWR
11-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Alan
Thanks for the response.
I was not clear about which suspension parts to use.

N8N
11-10-2008, 12:38 PM
The suspension is basically the same 54 to 64, but the kingpins and lower knuckles are different. Teh difference is the caster angle. So those pieces should be all '54 or all '64. The lower control arms are different as well; the difference is the lower shock mount. So use both control arms from the same car as well so you can use the same shocks side to side.

I second the recommendation to use the brakes from the '64. They should be a bolt on but you will need everything from the backing plates on out. Also Alan is dead on, you're not going to find a much better steering box for a C or K body than the Saginaw.

good luck

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

oldguy
11-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Newb question here. Is a 64 Commander a Lark?

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
"Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

N8N
11-10-2008, 12:44 PM
yep, although Studebaker was starting to shy away from the "Lark" name for the '64 model year. However, when you are talking about front suspension, there really isn't any difference between a Lark and a C-K, save for the reach rod, Pitman arm, and steering box. Everything from the center pivot on out is the same, as are the control arms, kingpins, brakes, etc.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel