Jeep shifter on stude O/D transmisson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep shifter on stude O/D transmisson

I was told that a Jeep floor shifter would bolt on top of a 1956 Studebaker 1/2 ton transsmison. That way I could put a overdrive switch on the shift lever and have a six speed. It would also be diffrent. Has anyone know if this is possible. Putting a Fatman frontend on it and would have to find steering colum with 3 speed shift lincage.

I don't know about the '56 Stude 1/2 ton's tranny in particular, but most of the major aftermarket shifter companies sell universal 3 speed shifters. One or two are very high quality units [I like Hurst] that shift accurately and smoothly for years & years. Checking JEGS [preferred by me] or Summit under shifters should give a general idea, then hitting mfgr. websites will narrow the search. Unless there's something very unusual about your tranny this may be a good solution.

Comment

Note: just because a site like JEGS [free shipping!] doesn't list a particular vehicle application on the website doesn't mean much. Give them a call toll free and where a mfgr. has a much larger application they can tell you what's available.

Where that fails cruise the JEGS or other discount house for major vendor websites to find out who the vendors for a type of part are then contact vendor direct, get application, and turn around and buy from JEGS or whoever at a discount armed with mfgr's part number. Works for me all the time. Saves a bunch of green...

Comment

You will have to fabricate the mounting bracket to clear the OD. I was lucky enough to find a Hurst shifter from an early 60's Ford for my T85 OD floor shift converstion. Nothing you buy "off the shelf" today will bolt on and work. Period.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer

You will have to fabricate the mounting bracket to clear the OD. I was lucky enough to find a Hurst shifter from an early 60's Ford for my T85 OD floor shift converstion. Nothing you buy "off the shelf" today will bolt on and work. Period.
          Guys,

I think what transtarken is talking about is using the Jeep 3-speed shifter that is actually made into the top cover of the transmission.

If so, here are some links found of previous Forum discussions on this topic, and two pages of an old Hot Rod article that might help. Remember that this Fourm site has a search function, so it's always good to do a few searches before posting a question.

Hope this helps!

Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Ahhhh, a top shifter! Never mind

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JimmieD

I want to thank you for showing me what this web site has in it. That is a very good discription oh how to put a top shifter in my pickup. I will take your advice and check the search option before posting agin. Thanks Ken

Comment

quote:Originally posted by transtarken

quote:Originally posted by JimmieD

I want to thank you for showing me what this web site has in it. That is a very good discription oh how to put a top shifter in my pickup. I will take your advice and check the search option before posting agin. Thanks Ken
                Ken,

Please don't misunderstand - if you have a question, post!! But if you need a quick answer, check the search fuction and you will probably find it.

And post some pictures of your truck.......we like pictures, lots of pictures!!

Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

That Jeep shifter conversion is for a T-86. Your 1/2ton (you didn't say if it was a 6 or an 8) would sport a T-86 behind a 6. If your 1/2ton has a V8, that Jeep shifter won't even BEGIN to adapt! By rights it would have a T-85 tranny that has no top cover.[B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My 1956 1/2 ton pickup has a 224 V/8 and the transmisson has a top cover on it. Has anyone done this convertion and has some tips to give. Ken

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

That Jeep shifter conversion is for a T-86. Your 1/2ton (you didn't say if it was a 6 or an 8) would sport a T-86 behind a 6. If your 1/2ton has a V8, that Jeep shifter won't even BEGIN to adapt! By rights it would have a T-85 tranny that has no top cover.[B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

Biggs,

His truck is a '56 1/2-ton, so it would have the T-86 style (actually a T-90) trans regardless of engine. Both the '55 and '56 V8 1/2-tons used the T-90. Soooo.....the info referenced above would be applicable to his truck unless the tranny has been swapped.

The big T-85 style trans didn't show up behind V8s until 1957.

Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

You're right, Paul! I forgot that it was the lesser tranny before my '57.[:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The thought of a T-86 behind a Stude 289 in a truck scares the crap out of me. I mean, how many of them would you break before the 289 wore out?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer

The thought of a T-86 behind a Stude 289 in a truck scares the crap out of me. I mean, how many of them would you break before the 289 wore out?
                            Allan,

The '55 & '56 1/2 ton V8s would have been 224 cubic inch. I drove my '55 V8 for a number of years with this engine/trans combo with no problems, including hauling and towing.

But I do agree that if you had a 289 with this tranny and jerked it around you might be in trouble, especially with a low-geared rear axle.

Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC
                            Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Working...
                            X