Going price...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going price...?

So, as seen in other posts, I have a predeliction for Stude Hawks and have for many years. I just got, but haven't brought home, a very, very clean '58 Commander, probably 259 and has an auto trans. Problem for me: it's a 4 door and somewhat less than breathtakingly exciting.

So what would a guy be looking at for prices for a roller in a Hawk, preferably a '58? Year doesn't much matter to me. Prefer no rust to speak of and seats that can be re-upholstered at least, and parts like instruments intact.

I'd be looking at a drivetrain swap and then sell the clean '58 as a roller. Otherwise what's the price range for a Hawk in fair condition? Thanks for any tips!

JimmieD

OCPG lists a #3 '58 Silver Hawk at $9450. A #3 car is a nice driver condition car...a 20 footer. I'd say that number is probably low relative to the actual market.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks, Dick! Well, I got that idea out of my system real quick....

Comment

If you are talking about gutting the nice (clean) '58 Commander 4 Dr. of it's power train to put in a new purchase Hawk, that is not a good idea! And then SELL the Commander as a roller? [:0] A no power train 4Dr. Comm. you would just about have to GIVE away, no selling about it! It would be WAY better to buy or re-build a power train for the Hawk and sell the Commander as is! [:0]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, yeah, that crossed my mind. I was in hopes that a beater Hawk might be priced lower, but was forgetting what's happened to the 'Collector' market. Just got in one of those wishy-wishy spaces. Better than wishy-washy I guess.

I'll stick with what I have until I find someone that wants it way more than I do. It's too nice to cannibalize. Besides, I already have other 4 wheeled toys and vehicle commitments.

Comment

How about some pics soon, JimmieD? You might do better sending that back here somehow. When I drive around SoCal I see so many donors that you should have many options either way.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JimmieD

I'd be looking at a drivetrain swap and then sell the clean '58 as a roller.
              ???????

What's the thought process that could possibly lead to that plan??? Strip a rare car of which there are probably few survivors, just to get it's incredibly common engine/trans. for a car that, when you buy one, will likely already have it's own engine/trans.?? Makes no sense[|)]

Find your Hawk first; THEN if you need an engine, grab an ultra-common and low-value Lark or something; there are plenty of good-running rags that you can get any time. Meanwhile, detail the '58 and sell it to finance the car you want. You said "very, very clean", yet you bought it cheap enough to gut the engine, so you'll probably make a nice profit on it. Take advantage of that, save yourself a lot of needless work, and let a clean car survive. Just basic logic[B)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Thanks, BarnLark, I think I'll just enjoy what I have. It's a very clean cruiser and fine for an ocasional trip, and rare enough I've never seen one in my entire life for what that's worth.

I'll put my Hawk fantasies on permanent hold and try to exercise some restraint for a change.

BAM50: it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Comment

Working...
                X