This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting Problems

Has anyone besides me noticed that you can reply to a post before the original poster posts?[] Look at Ding Dong....

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Has anyone besides me noticed that you can reply to a post before the original poster posts?[] Look at Ding Dong....
    Yep...I've noticed a lot of responses to posts time stamped prior to the post being responded to...and put before the post being responded to rather than after. Started a couple of days ago. Strange.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Yep...I've noticed a lot of responses to posts time stamped prior to the post being responded to...and put before the post being responded to rather than after. Started a couple of days ago. Strange.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I noticed that also, over the weekend. I wonder if it has something to do with the server not sorting out the different time zones properly? It's pretty wierd to have the answer posted BEFORE the question![:0]

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I noticed that also, over the weekend. I wonder if it has something to do with the server not sorting out the different time zones properly? It's pretty wierd to have the answer posted BEFORE the question![:0]

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It just goes to show how smart we Stude owners are. Now if can just use this talent on let's some college football games. Good Day.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
            Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

It just goes to show how smart we Stude owners are. Now if can just use this talent on let's some college football games. Good Day.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
              Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Here is an educated guess, on a way that this conceivably could happen:

Every message is a record in a database table, and one of the fields is a time/date for when the message was posted. The forum software either uses the time/date of the web server (on which the web page doing the processing resides) and stores that information in the table.

Anyway, if the time gets changed on that server (maybe the hosting company's network administrator manually changes the server's time, or clicks on a program to sync the time with Greenwich Mean Time or something), you can see how this is going to alter the next posting. Perhaps the time got corrected to a slightly earlier time, so that the next post got marked with an earlier time/date stamp than the post that was done just before it.

I have looked at the SnitzForum code, and I work as a web developer/ webmaster, so that's why it's an educated guess.

Will this bug get fixed? Probably not, because it probably can't be fixed. The only sure-fire way I know to fix it is to modify the code so that, when a reply is being posted, the web page looks to see the time/date stamp on the most recently added reply, and adjusts it back or adjusts the new one forward. But if a lot of replies are being made in rapid succession, you can see how this "fix" would eventually put the time way off from the real time.

We should just live with the occasional minor annoyance, in my opinion.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon
                Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
                "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Here is an educated guess, on a way that this conceivably could happen:

Every message is a record in a database table, and one of the fields is a time/date for when the message was posted. The forum software either uses the time/date of the web server (on which the web page doing the processing resides) and stores that information in the table.

Anyway, if the time gets changed on that server (maybe the hosting company's network administrator manually changes the server's time, or clicks on a program to sync the time with Greenwich Mean Time or something), you can see how this is going to alter the next posting. Perhaps the time got corrected to a slightly earlier time, so that the next post got marked with an earlier time/date stamp than the post that was done just before it.

I have looked at the SnitzForum code, and I work as a web developer/ webmaster, so that's why it's an educated guess.

Will this bug get fixed? Probably not, because it probably can't be fixed. The only sure-fire way I know to fix it is to modify the code so that, when a reply is being posted, the web page looks to see the time/date stamp on the most recently added reply, and adjusts it back or adjusts the new one forward. But if a lot of replies are being made in rapid succession, you can see how this "fix" would eventually put the time way off from the real time.

We should just live with the occasional minor annoyance, in my opinion.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                  The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                  "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                  The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

This happend to me the other night on the 700 HP Studebaker thread. This is what I wrote:

I have never seen this happen before. I posted my reply to Bob Feaganes (stude53), and it put my reply ahead of Bob's. It also put an incorrect time for my post. I posted it at about 5:48 EST. This site uses CST, but it put my post at 3:48

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

This happend to me the other night on the 700 HP Studebaker thread. This is what I wrote:

I have never seen this happen before. I posted my reply to Bob Feaganes (stude53), and it put my reply ahead of Bob's. It also put an incorrect time for my post. I posted it at about 5:48 EST. This site uses CST, but it put my post at 3:48

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Working...
                      X