Flying Chrome Prevention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying Chrome Prevention

We are missing many/most of the attachment devices for one side of our Studebaker nameplate on the front of our truck. Since we do not want it to fly off while we're driving down the road, are there any suggestions as to replacing or refurbishing them (they appear to have been a once-permanent part of the piece)? Any ideas will be welcome, as we are exploring our options. Thanks!

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona

Most of the modern trim is held on with a special tape. If you don't mind using it, I'd leave the existing prongs to guarantee attachment and tape the drivers side. Holds like grim death if applied correctly.

Available at most auto stores. The best would be available at auto paint stores.

Bob

Comment

I saw a couple of beautiful examples of this two piece nose emblem at Reedsville.
      Why not get the correct ones and make a real neat desktop ornament with the broken ones?
      Just a thought...
      Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I've actually repaired many pieces, as well as used the tape.

To repair, drill where the pin used to be, then insert a small bolt of the correct diameter. Sometimes you can thread/ tap the part for the bolt. In any case, I always epoxy it in. Then on the car side, I use the standard push-on speed nut. (am I using the correct name?)

Many vendors also supply new letters with pins at reasonable costs, especially if you have to rechrome yours.

Once I purchased 2 Commander scripts and the pins were in slightly different places than the original. (I ended up drilling new holes through my fresh paint job.) I wonder if the script varied from factory to factory?

Paul

Comment

If you're a purist you're not going to like this: Shoe-goo. Liquid duct tape. Or the automotive goop made by same. It's almost all the same. I stuck on the hood emblem of my 47 commander convertible with it. Use tape to hold it in place while it dries, check for slipping unless you can get the surface near level so gravity doesn't work on it. It's never come off. To remove it slide a thin blade in to saw it away. It will remove paint when fully dried so remove any excess while it's soft. Excess glue will run, but slowly so keep an eye on it to make sure it's not oozing out where it might be seen.

Comment

Working...
          X