PDA

View Full Version : floor or tree?

robtc
11-06-2008, 03:44 PM
I have a '55 flathead with an automatic. I am picking up another engine and manual tranny from a 52 in a week or so. Any ideas on whether to make it a three on the tree plus overdrive (which means, I assume, I will have to find a new steering column) or a floor shift? I want to keep the actual work to a minimum. I don't mind doing the work but my son and I would like to get this on the road as soon as possible.

I believe if I had a steering column and linkage the three on the tree would be easier. correct me if I am wrong. Anyone have a lead on a steering column and, linkage and pedals? I am in southern California.

StudeRich
11-06-2008, 04:00 PM
It is going to make a major difference which model we are talking about here!
That is because very little interchanges between Sedan/Wagon models and Coupe/Hardtop models. I guess you have a '55 Champion, what body style?

One good source for you would be Bill Oliver in Long Beach, at Studebaker Parts and Service 562 435 3782
I have known Bill about 40 years, and I know he will try to help with many parts cars available, if you drop in there. [^]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Alan
11-06-2008, 04:07 PM
I have the stuff out of a 53K. If you don't find what you want give a yell. I will probably hear you yell all the way up here in South Gate when you find out about his prices.

robtc
11-06-2008, 04:23 PM
I guess I could be a bit more specifi about the body style.

55 champion. coupe? (the kind with the post. I always the post/non-post, coupe/hardtop thing mixed up)

rockinhawk
11-06-2008, 07:00 PM
The clutch linkage will probably give you more trouble than the shifter. NT

Neil Thornton
Hazlehurst, GA
'57 Silver Hawk
'56 Sky Hawk
'51 2R16 dump truck
Many others.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/avatar2.jpg

54-61-62
11-06-2008, 09:05 PM
I perfer 3-on-the-tree any day over floor shift. Allows one's girlfriend to sit closer :)

Dick Steinkamp
11-06-2008, 10:50 PM
What are your reasons for wanting to swap?

The '55 6 had 15 more cubic inches than the '52. You'll be giving up quite a bit of power.

The switch to a stick shift is a bolt in, but finding all the right parts can be time consuming and expensive.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Stude-a-mino%20old%20pics/oldpics6asmall.jpg

robtc
11-07-2008, 12:28 PM
the switch to the 52 is temporary. I will eventually put the 55 back in. However, the 55 came attached to an automatic transmission so I want to make the tranny switch no matter what. So, does it make more sense to go the floor route or the tree route, and how extensive is the work involved with each change?

As I understand the column shift, I will need a different steering column. I will also need the manual linkage, overdrive stuff (it comes with the engine and tranny I am picking up) and pedals. Anything else.

Or, is the floor route less labor intensive?

Roscomacaw
11-07-2008, 01:32 PM
The floor route's probably gonna be easier if you don't mind cutting a hole for the shifter.
While I've never done such, an aftermarket shifter shouldn't be that hard to find. Fact is, I've got a hurst shifter I got with a bunch of stuff, but I have no idea what it might fit.
The clutch stuff might be the tricky part - assuming you go with the floor shifter. If you're gonna do the whole, tree-on-the-tree swap, finding all the right pieces might be a challenge. Best bet would be to find a donor car that someone's willing to part or find one in some junkyard - not that there's many left in yards anymore!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

rockinhawk
11-07-2008, 07:01 PM
If your trans. is an OD model, it takes a lot of linkage bending and tweaking to get around the solenoid. I have done it a few times but it ain't easy. There is a hurst shifter on the market for pickup trucks that works pretty well. NT

Neil Thornton
Hazlehurst, GA
'57 Silver Hawk
'56 Sky Hawk
'51 2R16 dump truck
Many others.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/avatar2.jpg