PDA

View Full Version : BAMS will not be going to Reedsville

lstude
11-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Bob called me and asked me to post that he will not be going to Reedsville because his son is very sick.

He wanted to let people who were going to get some things from him to let them know.

Leonard Shepherd
http://leonardshepherd.com/

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/LHSJR/MyStudebakernobackgroundsm.jpg

Roscomacaw
11-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Here's hoping the kid gets better!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

bams50
11-06-2008, 06:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Here's hoping the kid gets better!

Thanks Biggs, I hope he gets better too. Apologies to Brad and Allen, sorry to miss our connection for the parts. Rob's in the hospital, still trying to determine why he suddenly collapsed this am. More to follow. Prayers welcome.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

bige
11-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Our thoughts are with you and Rob...

Ernie and Cindi

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/AvantiR2/track.jpg

railway
11-06-2008, 07:26 PM
I always feel sadden when I hear someone is ill ailing, but when it's one of our kids it kinda hurts. Hope Rob improves fast.

Ebon...
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_wfPQZZVgjZo/SQ_Qln0nkFI/AAAAAAAAABo/aUlcwCY2q48/s144/bobbiejo2.JPG

"I sweat to keep others cool"

sweetolbob
11-06-2008, 07:39 PM
BAMS - One of the toughest spots in the world, Prayers with you, your son and family. Bob:)

StudeRich
11-06-2008, 07:58 PM
I am very saddened to hear that Bob, I hope and pray that Rob will be quickly diagnosed, and back to normal real soon! :)

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

JGK 940
11-06-2008, 08:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by Studedude

Added to prayer list.

Same here.

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Dick Clemens
11-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Bob he has been put on our prayer list. We have asked him to protect you and your family also. The Love of the LORD be with you and yours.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Flashback
11-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Thoughts and prayers with you. Hard times
up close.

Tex E. Grier
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/Flashback53/Studebaker255.jpg

raprice
11-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Bob,
My prayers are with you & Rob. Here's hoping the diagnosis is easy and the treatment successful.
Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
Smithtown,NY

rockne10
11-06-2008, 10:01 PM
No apologies necessary, Bob.
I add my thoughts and prayers.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/Rockne/th_Rocknegauges.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

BobPalma
11-06-2008, 10:09 PM
:) Thoughts and prayers from here, too, Bob. Please keep us posted. [8D]BP

bams50
11-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Just got home from the hospital. Robby is still there, but stable and in good spirits.

In spite of having Cystic Fibrosis, he's been a mostly healthy, burly, and strong 18-year-old. He's been feeling fine, and got up this morning like always. Walked into the kitchen, opened the fridge, and crashed to the floor. Linda heard the crash and found him on the floor, unconscious. As she knelt down, he came around. She helped him to his feet, he turned to sit down, and went out again. Linda, now totally panicked, called 911. Ambulance was there in 5 minutes. He's embarrassed, startled, and confused, but doesn't want to get on the gurney; walked to the ambulance with assistance. Lost consciousness twice more at the hospital.

Did several tests- ruled out tumor or aneurysm. Blood sugar was right, blood pressure fine- until he tries to stand, at which time it plummets, as does he.

Diagnosis (thus far): Slightly bleeding ulcer. Messed up his fluid level and make-up (electrolytes). He's in the hospital with IV fluids and heart monitor, awaiting the gastroenterologist tomorrow. Feels fine but bored, as long as he doesn't stand; but that is improving as well. I suspect he'll get released tomorrow.

Funny about kids. I could ride an open-cockpit race car into and over a wall with a stuck throttle- didn't faze me a bit; in fact I thought it was fun. But to see my only child in an ambulance completely scared the s**t out of me. I'll never get used to it. This sewer-hole of a world can't afford to part with him- ten times the human being I'll ever be. I'm sure he'll be fine, and I'm home, exhausted but confident.

Thank God for prayer, family, friends... and the amazing Linda, who somehow is able to keep Mr. Tough-Guy from dissolving into a useless blob. Tomorrow's another day!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Anne F. Goodman
11-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Thank God for good news . Just know that your Studebaker Family is watching over you too. Tell Rob that we are all pulling for him and that he just has to take it easy I know how hard that can be.

Mabel 1949 Champion
1957 Silverhawk
1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
Gus 1958 Transtar
1955 President State
1957 Golden Hawk
Fresno,Ca
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/Mabel.jpg?t=1165475035http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/xmasannecopy.jpghttp://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/GusMater.jpghttp://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/th_DSCN17232008-01-01.jpg

wolfie
11-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Our prayers are with the multitude of others. God speed. Steve and Tracy

barnlark
11-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Bob, just got home. What an ordeal for you. Nothing more helpless than feeling that you can't do anything in that position for your child. Prayers to you all and I hope more correct answers are forthcoming.

Bill Pressler
11-07-2008, 05:00 AM
Bob, prayers from here too for Rob.

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH
'63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

BobPalma
11-07-2008, 07:56 AM
:) Omigosh, Bob; what a harrowing report! At least he sounds stable and is where he needs to be until they get things sorted out. All good wishes and prayers continue.

(Most of us -well, OK, I'll speak for myself if everyone else is smarter- could probably use a primer on the effects of Cystic Fibrosis.) Keep the faith. [8D]BP

Edited for spelling.

wpsrea
11-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Bob,
You have our prayers. Our family is well aware of Cystic Fibrosis and what it can do. My nephew was diagnoised with it when he was in his late 20s. Now awaiting a lung transplant.

Wayne

bams50
11-07-2008, 10:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

(Most of us -well, OK, I'll speak for myself if everyone else is samrter- could probably use a primer on the effects of Cystic Fibrosis.) Keep the faith. [8D]BP

Wiki has info, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cystic_Fibrosis

I'm not sure this is the place to post a primer I wrote; if interested e-mail me and I'll send it.

I'll give a final update when he gets home.

Parish, central NY 13131

BobGlasscock
11-07-2008, 10:13 AM
May God be with your whole family and give Rob peace and stable health.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff019.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff018.jpg

Steve T
11-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Bob--

Whew. And here I am worrying about reroofing the back half of my house so it doesn't start raining indoors...Add me to the number whose thoughts and prayers are with Rob, Linda and yourself. (Allen has that red Vanity now but that can wait!)

S.

JBOYLE
11-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Wow, as others have said, something like this cuts our "daily" troubles down to size.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

stude53
11-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Bob,
By the time I opened this topic, the bad news had turned to better news (WILL WATCH FOR THE BEST NEWS TO COME).

God bless you, Rob, and the rest of the family. Will add my prayer to all the others.

Regards,

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
53 Starliner Hardtop
Newton Grove, NC

mnmfive
11-07-2008, 07:50 PM
My prayers are with you. Jim R

Jim Rostron

bams50
11-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Rob was transferred from our very good Oswego Hospital a half-hour away to University Hospital in Syracuse, one of the best in the country. That's where the regional CF clinic is, consistently either the top or nearly so. They know his history there and have the latest in equipment and the top doctors; the ideal situation.

They're staying with the ulcer diagnosis, but will verify with a few more tests; good news, since it's easily treated <<WHEW>> He's feeling good, good spirits, symptoms are gone; so all seems well.

I feel funny about all the detail; this thread was started to let those looking for me know I wouldn't be there. Thanks to all who offered their wishes and prayers; it means the world!

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled Studebakers;)

Parish, central NY 13131

BobPalma
11-07-2008, 09:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by bams50
And now, back to our regularly-scheduled Studebakers;)

Robert (Bob) Andrews

:) True, Bob...but without the enthusiasm of the Big Studebaker Family partially represented on this forum, every extant Studebaker would stay right where it is, unmaintained and subject to an advanced rate of deterioration, until the last one had been reclaimed by natural forces.

Know that all share your joy of Rob making good progress in the right place. May he come home soon.[^] [8D]BP

Lenny R2
11-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Bob hope Rob will be out of the hospital soon and will be
back to normal.

Lenny
Atlanta Ga.

Lark289
11-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Bob,

Blessings and prayers on the speedy recovery of your son.

Jeff

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Lark289/Stude60-2.jpg

JBody
11-08-2008, 12:35 AM
This is very sad new, Bams! I would pray for you, but I just don't have much faith in it. Still, I figure that one must do what they have to do, in order to affect the outcome of adversity. I sincerely do hope you have the best of luck, and that your son can manage his chronic illness in the future. If We don't hear from you for quite awhile, We'll know that you are preoccupied with dealing with, and expediting his recovery.

bams50
11-08-2008, 09:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by JBody

This is very sad new, Bams! I would pray for you, but I just don't have much faith in it. Still, I figure that one must do what they have to do, in order to affect the outcome of adversity. I sincerely do hope you have the best of luck, and that your son can manage his chronic illness in the future. If We don't hear from you for quite awhile, We'll know that you are preoccupied with dealing with, and expediting his recovery.

Thanks again, most everybody. Like everybody else, I want nothing from Packebaker/wally/torker/JBody. Just go away.

Parish, central NY 13131

Ernie Stoltzfus
11-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Hello Bob,
My prayers are with you.
My wife and I have 2 sons, Evan 16 and Jason 18.
Jason was born with a heart defect.
He has had 3 heart surgerys, one at 1 month and then at 1 year and 6 years old.
We have spent a little time over the years at Hershey Medical Center,PA.
He is doing great, no meds and no limitations.
He was acepted at Drexel College, Phila,PA.
I can relate to not wanting to see our kids hurting.
PS: I was hoping to meet you at Reedsville, but family is more important than any old car or show.
Ernie

Ernie Stoltzfus

bams50
11-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks much, Ernie. Maybe York?

As for Rob, he's doing fine; we're sitting here waiting for him to (hopefully) be discharged today.

Further testing has tended to confirm his diagnosis of bleeding ulcer. Some things we never knew:

*Minor bleeds can start and heal themselves

*You can have a bleeding ulcer without knowing it- no pain or symptoms

*Left unchecked, they can eventually deplete your fluid makeup of essential nutrients and electrolytes- which can cause dangerously low blood pressure

It seems that's what happened here. He said he's felt fine- no fatigue, no pain, nothing- until he collapsed that morning. There is a somewhat higher risk of this in CF patients, but it can happen to anybody. He's been on high doses of Ibuprofen for his lungs since he was 2; that's probably a contributing factor.

I always thought of ulcers in the stereotypical way- the overstressed tycoon yelling and chugging antacids to quell the pain. Apparently, not necessarily the case...

Thanks again to my Stude family for all the support[^]

Parish, central NY 13131

9snickers
11-09-2008, 11:06 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you ! We both have a couple of things in common, We both love Studebakers and I also have a 17 year old daughter with Cystic Fibrosis. It really amazes me how happy and strong these young people can be, I don't believe I could ever go though what my daughter goes though every day of her life and the time she sets aside to take care of herself. If it were me I would be *****ing and complaining every step of the way. In my daughters case it is just the opposite..always happy and worrying about others instead of herself. Sorry for rambling on..I wish nothing but the best for you and your son.

Tim