Getting the hood open--60 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the hood open--60 Lark

There must be an easy way to do this. Apparently the hood release cable on my 60 Lark Convertible has come loose and won't release the hood. Is there a method I can use to reach through the grill to somehow release the catch? This is a convert with the extra bracing behind the grill, so reaching up from the bottom is a problem. Any answers welcome--this car is in a parade Thursday and I need to get under the hood pronto. By the way I did try the search mechanism but didn't find anything for the '60 Larks.

Frank

I think that up from the bottom with something like an extra long screwdriver or slim pry bar is going to be your best shot at this.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks, Gary. I refined my search and found some instructions on chuck collins' site. Now I have to see if I can understand them well enough to get the hood open...

Comment

Frank,
        this is a problem but not a nightmare, go slow.
        The first thing to do is put a blanket on the hood and on top of thisput a 80lb bag of cement or sand or anything heavy enough to take presure off the lever . Next get a coat hanger and straighten out,next get apiece of 1/4 or 3/16 round stock. Bend the hanger to a kind of s shape \ 3/4"back
        2 to 3 inch /
        ------------------/ 1 1/2"up
        /
        /
        /
        /
        / handle
        /
        /
        work this thur about the secound or third row of grill mesh in front of the lock to go thur the the small opening where the cable attaches to the lock mechanism bend accordinly to make it work when you feel the resistance of the latch lever stop and make the thicker rod to this shape .Wiggle in there while light pressing down on the hood it should release. It's been about twenty years since I had to do this to my 60convert I hope I am remembering this right ,if this dosen't work let me know I'll take a drive up to my other garage and check out the mechanism for you.
        JOE

1959 HARDTOP R2 clone
        1960 conv
        SDC member since 1972
        1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
        1960 conv R2 auto
        SDC member since 1972
        http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff21/59r2/DSC01514-3.jpg

Comment

Check here for step-by-step instructions:

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
          '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I haven't had that problem yet, but checked it out on mine and it is pretty easy to access with a good light and a little luck per those instructions. Great link for info, Clark. Be prepared..[^]

Comment

FWIW, two preventative measures those of us with cable hood releases can take:

1) Studes are some of the very few cars that use release cables that can actually be lubed! Take a can of silicone spray (NOT WD-40) and soak the wire-wrap case of the cable, then work it back and forth a few times. It will free up nicely and be much less prone to breakage than if left unlubricated after 40 years This also works on Climatizer cables, BTW. I just freed up a very old, corroded set this way.

2) Several StudeVendors stock replacement hood release cables. See my note about 40 year old unlubricated cables above! I just bought a NOS cable and plan to install it even though my original cable appears to work well... better safe than sorry.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I have the same problem but the cable didn't break, it was the clip that secures the cable next to the latch. Is that clip available? Thanks

Comment

Yep, what happened is the clip holding the cable popped loose. To prevent this from happening again, I screwed it down which should have been done in the first place. By the way, rather than use a long screwdriver from below to lever the latch over, a frustrating process, I found it much easier to simply use a hack saw blade as a slim jim. Just lever the hood up a little bit with a screw driver (cover the paint with tape to avoid any scratching) so you can see the latch, insert the blade thru the hood opening and push toward the driver's side against the latch. Voila!! The hood popped open.

Comment

Working...
                  X