PDA

View Full Version : Steering Gear needed- Florida

StudeRich
11-03-2008, 08:27 PM
I got a call today from a Tallahassee, FL Shop that needs a Type TL, I believe, Ross Steering Gear for C/K or major NLA wear-out parts like Post and Cam it is for a lady who DAILY DRIVES her '55 Commander Coupe, and has WAY too much slop in the gear.

I told them to make sure it is not in the reach rod, tie rods or center pivot bearings, clamp or pinch bolt before condemning the gear.

The 534312 Post and Cam seems to be NLA at SASCO & S.I. so I could not help.

Could someone closer to them, please try and help this lady?

If you email me I can forward the contact info for them.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

N8N
11-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Rich,

have you suggested to her a swap to a Saginaw, or is she intent on keeping it original?

No, I don't have one to offer - I have two in parts however, both with "issues" with the post. One I think can be welded (groove worn into it in the upper bearing area) but I'd rather have someone more skilled than I handle it. that one I think will go into my own '55. If you can find a post and worm for the other box I'd be happy to sell you the rest of it. Of course shipping might be expensive (you're in CA right?)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

barnlark
11-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Rich,
You'll know this answer much better than I, but I have my 1960 (1959 built) Ross low mileage gear and post out and sitting in a crate that I got my '64 column in. Will that fit her car?

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN1253_2.jpg

sweetolbob
11-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Rich, I have the original out of my 54 hardtop, Ross box. I would be happy to send it for the price of shipping but I have don't know the condition. It feels ok but I don't know how to check it for sure nor what parts to send. In in Michigan 48706. If there is interest, contact me throught the forum email and I'll supply my phone number. Bob :)

StudeRich
11-03-2008, 09:34 PM
No Dave thanks for the offer, your gear is closer to an earlier Sedan, but not a C/K.
Were you able to bolt that '64 Saginaw recirculating ball type gear right in, using the '64 Drag Link and Pitman arm?

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Rich,
You'll know this answer much better than I, but I have my 1960 (1959 built) Ross low mileage gear and post out and sitting in a crate that I got my '64 column in. Will that fit her car?

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Roscomacaw
11-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I'd suggest the Saginaw as Nate's done, but then he knows as well as I do that they're not easy to find. I've got a Ross unit out of a '53 Coupe. Feels fine, bgut of course, that's without a load on it.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

barnlark
11-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Rich, yep, works great, love it. However, I can't get my '60 steering wheel off to adjust it. Went on normally, but I broke two grade 8 bolts with a puller trying to get it off this summer. Hate to heat it up, but I need two grade 8 gorillas to help apparently. Any ideas? BTW, I used the same reach rod. Had to reroute the wiring for the neutral safety switch, too.

barnlark
11-03-2008, 09:46 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
"Feels fine, but of course, that's without a load on it."

Sounds like my back, Biggs. ;)

sweetolbob
11-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Barnlark, Have you tried using the puller while hammering, with moderation, on the puller. Has worked for me many times. Interestingly, I think I saw a pix of your car recently. Nice shot. Bob ;)

By the way, add a little PB Blaster to the spline.

barnlark
11-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Did all of that Bob. The normal stuff hasn't worked and I just tucked it away until March. I was trying to think of how to put some heat on it as a last resort with a small torch while the puller is on it. Never had one on so tight. Thought they were all the same size spline from '60 on.