• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing Plastic?

I have seen several refer to polishing plastic parts,
    such as my 53 horn button. What is the best product,
    and procedure?

Tex E. Grier

For minor scratches or dulling good old toothpaste and a soft cloth works pretty well. I have used jeweler's rouge and a soft buffing wheel with excellent results. There are also many commercial plastic polishes on the market now.

Analog man in a digital world.

Comment

No endorsement here Tex, but I bought a Meguiars product called "Plastx" says it works on headlight covers convertible windows and hard plastic surfaces. Says it will remove fine scratches, cloudiness and stubborn oxidation. Have not had a chance to use it yet though. Available at most FLAPS.

Frank van Doorn
      1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
      1963 Daytona Conv
      1941 Champion R-2 Rod
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Griot's Garage also sells an excellent Plastic polish as well as a plastic cleaner. I've used both and they do a great job.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Crest toothpaste

Jim

Comment

I used Plastx on my eyeglasses to no avail at all.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

A far as "soft rags" go, make sure they are 100% cotton, or other all natural fiber - an old T-Shirt with some rayon or other man-made fiber WILL scratch the plastic.

I used to work in the guitar repair biz, and learned fast when buffing out scratches. I bought an old beaver cowboy hat (nice and floppy), cut it in squares. I used different grades of Meguiars polish, and never used a rough grade square when polishing with fine grade. Didn't want to contaminate them. Served me well.

Chris Pile
              Midway Chapter SDC
              The Studebaker Special
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I've started using 3M's "Final Finish" swirl remover on my plastic, by hand and with a foam buffing ball on a battery drill. I have used this stuff for years for the final buff on paint (works great) but just recently used it on some '94 Dodge headlight covers that were "foggy"...worked great, and is the best yet!! Or you can try...

For 10 years I've used "Plexus" plastic cleaner for all (plastic) aircraft windscreens,marker light lenses and the cheep "reader glasses" I buy from the dollar store. It's made by: B.T.I. Chemical Co., Oak Park, CA. 91377.

Hope this helps 'ya!

Comment

NAPA sells a kit of pre-moistened pads with an attachment that goes into your power drill for cleaning plastic and removing scratches.

It did a great job on the soft plastic of my wife's Mini Cooper's tail lights..
                  (The headlights must be made out of better plastic because they were okay, but the tail lights were terrible after a winter where they got coated with slush & grime).

I've also had great luck with Meguires plastic polish #3...bought for my Miata's rear window and used with great success on the windshield/cabin bubble of a Bell 47 helicopter.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I have been a dedicated user of Zaino products for several years. Thier plastic polish is very good.

Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                    Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Sorry for any confusion but, the 3M product I was refering to is now called: Finesse-It II Machine Polish.

Comment

Novus makes a set of scratch-remover/polishing sprays that work well together. Any bulk plastic supplier or fabricator will have them - ask for Novus #1 & #2.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                        '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks everyone, I am going to try some of
                          these on a 55 horn button, and then maybe
                          my 53. when you use crest, do you only hand
                          rub, or buff.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

Novus makes a set of scratch-remover/polishing sprays that work well together. Any bulk plastic supplier or fabricator will have them - ask for Novus #1 & #2.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                            '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County
                            I concur. I've kept Novus 1 & 2 on hand for years. It is good. A little goes a long way. I've used it with a soft clean cloth for detailing gauge and light lenses. I bought mine from a local company that manufactures retail displays and machine guards or whatever you want, out of clear plastic.

Comment

Working...
                            X