Trucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trucks?

Would someone be so kind as to school me on Stude pick ups?
    I'm looking for a parts hauler/tow vehicle (max 4500 pounds loaded trailer)and really like the 53 body style. I passed on the only one I've seen in person cause it was 80% hotrod and 20% truck. I'd like to reverse that. Maybe, Small block V8, power steering and brakes in a stock body. I'm clueless on the Champ/transtar/2R/3R designations?? Other than the power/steering/brakes are there any other issues? Frame too light, etc? Is there only one cab size?
    [I nearly bought a 53 ford F100 that was setup perfectly, but next to the Stude, that is one ugly pickup).
    It would really help to know what I'm looking for.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
    "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

I have a 1958 e-40 truck in VA 171 inch wheelbase v-8 4 speed unrestored body in good shape engine freshened up.

email off line if you need more info

Take care

george o

Comment

2R series: 49-53 C-cab; 2-piece windshield, small rear window, two flathead 6-cyl engines available.
      3R: 54 only, one piece windshield, new grille, new instrument cluster, V8 introduced in the big trucks only.
      E: 55 only, larger rear window, same 54 grille, V8 available in all models.
      2E: 56 only, modified 54 grille with separate parking lights, new dash, Transtar name and two-tone paint introduced.
      3E: 57-58: large new fiberglass grille. Scotsman introduced as low-cost model with modified 2R grille, 4WD available.
      4E: 59 only, Transtar name dropped; Scotsman continued.
      5E: 60 only, big trucks continued with Transtar name returned. New Champ T-cab model replaces 1/2-ton and 3/4-ton models and uses Lark front end sheet metal and dash.
      6E: 61 only, P2 (ex-Dodge fleetside) box available on Champs.
      7E: 62 only.
      8E: 63-64, air brakes available on big trucks.

All the cabs were the same except for the windshield, back window, and dash design.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks skip. So, the one I like is the 49-53 C-cab, split windshield. With the 54,55 & 56 next and maybe the 57-58 scotsman (2R style grill). Am I to assume all the 1/2 ton pickups were on the same chassis 49 to 58 or were there changes to the suspension, motor mounts, etc?

Any comments on towing 4500 pounds with one of these?

Comment

Well the first thing and most obvious is the POWER question, if you could live with the big vertical teeth fiberglass grille, there are lots of plenty powerful enough '57-'59 Transtar V-8 1/2 and 3/4 Ton pickups out there, even a few '55-'56's with their own 4 slot steel grille.

On the other hand, if you must have one O'those multiple fine slot steel grille, split window things (2R), you have to plan on a engine transplant, and there is room for a Hemi Chrysler if that's what you want!

Another issue is the 112 in. short wheelbase 6 1/2 Ft. bed, shorty pickup most people (like you sound) want for the style! It is in contrast to your wish for a trailer hauler, because short is not good for hauling a Trailer.

Here is the kind of Trailer Toter you could build:

It is a 122 in. W/B '55 Stakebed with a '64 Full-Flow 259 Engine, 4 Speed H.D. Truck Tranny with with a Warn 2 speed (in & out) Overdrive and a 4.10 to 1 Axle ratio, it has a 3/4 Ton frame and front axle with a Dually 1 Ton rear axle.
          Perfect for pulling a 4500 Lb. trailer OR hauling a 1886 Studebaker Wagon!
          No, it is not our's, we just built the engine for the James Bell Collection.

To save a lot of you long time Truck owners a lot of questions, NO this is NOT an original '55 Truck! It has many mods, like the '51-'54 Rear panel with small back window and hood emblems etc.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by oldguy829

Thanks skip. So, the one I like is the 49-53 C-cab, split windshield. With the 54,55 & 56 next and maybe the 57-58 scotsman (2R style grill). Am I to assume all the 1/2 ton pickups were on the same chassis 49 to 58 or were there changes to the suspension, motor mounts, etc?
            No changes in suspension, though HD springs were optional, and some steering components differed depending on the engine. All of the frames and cabs can be interchanged. As noted above, the 3/4 ton and 1-ton frames and suspension components were much heavier. Retrofitting a later Stude V8 into a 2R is probably the easiest swap, since it can all be done with factory parts. Lots of people have done it. Access to a parts truck helps. A 2R grille can be installed on a later truck, but some holes in the fenders will have to be welded up.

Skip Lackie
            Washington DC
            Skip Lackie

Comment

There's a fella here locally that's had JUST the sort of truck you want - under construction - for at LEAST 15 years. Beautiful work in every nook and cranny - 85% completed and I seriously doubt that it ever will get finished. He's aging - running out of enthusiasm for large projects.

2R cab, custom flatbed, 1ton GMC chassis and power. He may say flat out: Not for sale! Or he JUST MIGHT relent. He**uva nice guy. Has more C-cab hulks than anybody I know. I could put you in touch.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Not quite what you are looking for, but I just got a call from a guy that I sold a modified pickup to nine years ago that now wants to sell it. The pickup is also in New York and you are in Texas.
                The pickup is one that I brought from NC about ten years ago. It is a 1959 with a Camaro sub-frame, 400 Chevy, THD, ps, pdb and more. It is a complete, runnng, good looking pickup. He wants $8K which is much less than I paid for it or sold it to him for.
                If you are interested, contact me off the Forum.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. A 1 Ton is the farthest thing from my mind, but I see the limitations of the half ton.
                  When was the long wheel base available? Only in 3/4 tons and up?
                  thanks

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by oldguy829

Thanks for the input guys. A 1 Ton is the farthest thing from my mind, but I see the limitations of the half ton.
                    When was the long wheel base available? Only in 3/4 tons and up?
                    thanks

Longer (122") WB (8-foot bed) was what you got with a 3/4-ton, and became available in the 1/2-ton trucks in 1956. With a 1-ton, you got 131" WB (9-foot bed).

Skip Lackie
                    Washington DC
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Sounds like a 3/4 ton is my best bet, or a 56, 1/2 ton long wheelbase. 57/58 Scotsman long wheelbase? Now, to find one. Preferably, near Texas.
                      On a side note, are the early grills hard to find? I much prefer them to the later ones.

Comment

Used 2R grilles come up on ebay pretty frequently, and are also probably available from some vendors.

Skip Lackie
                        Washington DC
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                        X