Suprise in my mailbox today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suprise in my mailbox today

Opened the mailbox to find the November Turning Wheels on Nov. 1st. Wow, and I don't even get it First Class.

Also, great to see another Forum Member's car on the cover. Congratulations!

Nah, I won't tell whose and spoil it.

JWW

quote:Originally posted by JWW

Opened the mailbox to find the November Turning Wheels on Nov. 1st. Wow, and I don't even get it First Class.

Also, great to see another Forum Member's car on the cover. Congratulations!

Nah, I won't tell whose and spoil it.

JWW

You wouldn't "spoil" anything. There has been another topic/thread discussing this cover car for a few days.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

My Nov. Turning Wheels arrived at my humble abode today. Now, to find the time to sit down and absorb it.
      Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

"You wouldn't "spoil" anything. There has been another topic/thread discussing this cover car for a few days."

Sorry. I missed that thread.
        JWW

Comment

It was still thoughtful and much appreciated, John. Front covers don't happen very often if it's mine. You've seen it at Wink's, so you may know some things look better in pictures and some worse! I still don't have my TW yet and am unaware what picture it is since I sent in a few shots this summer. I have to curb my enthusiasm and not post so many on the forum. It gets over exposed and ho hum by the time it's in TW to folks here.. including me. I was on the back page in May (before I finished several things on the car; that was a test shot), so I feel guilty and also badly for others whom haven't made it in any issue yet. As we well know, it's out of our control what runs. I'm very proud, though. If in fact it's mine, it's an honor, but I hope to get my photos of other's Studes on any covers in the future. That's much more fun for me and in the spirit of the SDC.

Comment

It is a great and wonderful honor to have a car on the cover of TW. While I have never had a currently owned car featured I am the previous owner of 2 recent cover cars. since Matthew has become my publicity agent he has gotten his truck,which I once owned, on the back of May,07,and my son's 51 starlight,which I once owned, on the front of Aug, 08. The cars are not mine any more but I helped. The boy made me proud. NT

Neil Thornton
            Hazlehurst, GA
            '57 Silver Hawk
            '56 Sky Hawk
            '51 2R16 dump truck
            Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

He sure has, Neil. [^] It's a pleasure to read of a close, multi-generational family spreading the Studebaker love. Now, if I can just get him to remember to check out the old 60 ragtop you've got out there for my needed top parts. You know, the kind not on a shelf.[)]

Comment

Barnlark, There's not much left of that old car. The vulchers have pretty well picked it clean. If there is somthing special you need let me know and I will check it out. NT

Neil Thornton
                Hazlehurst, GA
                '57 Silver Hawk
                '56 Sky Hawk
                '51 2R16 dump truck
                Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Looking for a couple top frame parts. Is it still in the car? We can talk off forum.

Comment

The top frame is still pretty much in tact, I think! you can email me at nthornton1@earthlink.net. NT

Neil Thornton
                    Hazlehurst, GA
                    '57 Silver Hawk
                    '56 Sky Hawk
                    '51 2R16 dump truck
                    Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockinhawk

It is a great and wonderful honor to have a car on the cover of TW. While I have never had a currently owned car featured I am the previous owner of 2 recent cover cars. since Matthew has become my publicity agent he has gotten his truck,which I once owned, on the back of May,07,and my son's 51 starlight,which I once owned, on the front of Aug, 08. The cars are not mine any more but I helped. The boy made me proud. NT

Neil Thornton
                      Drive the '57 Hawk to the chapter meeting. If ya want, I'll get up early that Saturday and detail the car. We'll have a little photoshoot by the river.

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I am planning on driving the 58 to the next meeting.(definately not a cover truck) Loaded down with camping gear. Some of us are going to camp out Fri. night. Every one is invited to join us. Motorhomes,campers and tents are welcome. On the banks of the Altamaha between Hazlehurst and Uvalda Georgia At Towns Bluff Park and Herritage center.

Neil Thornton
                        Hazlehurst, GA
                        '57 Silver Hawk
                        '56 Sky Hawk
                        '51 2R16 dump truck
                        Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Well, it wasn't much of a surprise, but got my TW today. Art had asked in Lancaster if he could use one of the pics I sent in for an illustration concerning a photo contest. Bad morning sun angle from 1 o'clock as you look at it (it rained hard 4 hours after that, so I couldn't use the better afternoon sun) and kind of a boring, stock angle, but I love that view from up there on the west side, so I'm very proud to have it on a front cover. No need to have apologized in that article, though, Art. I find something wrong in every picture I take that I should have seen when I shot it and that one is no exception. I should have photoshopped the clouds at least, to get more detail, as well as use my other good camera with my SB-800 flash for fill. That trip was a last minute thought and I just now got my good camera back from the factory...that was just a coolpix.
                          Thanks for using it, it's an honor & I promise to enter a different car for the contest. BTW, this is the one I thought you were going to use because in my mind it was a little different from the norm, even if the horizon wasn't as high over the car; can't you see Turning Wheels printed up there in the tree leaves? ...but now I see why you used the other. Thank you, Art and Ann.[8D]

[img][/img]

Comment

I can't resist to do a mild critique of this photo above.
                            Dave, please take this as constructive.
                            I see 3 things in this photo (just offhand) that might be worrisome.
                            1. The horizon line is awkward relative to the car.
                            2. All detail on the car is lost because of lighting.
                            3. Three different subjects are vying for attention and, if asked what the subject of this photo is, I might be tempted to say:
                            "Leaves"

It's still a dramatic photo but those three things come to my
                            attention.

Comment

The picture above looks more like it should be on a brochure for Cleveland than on TW. I thnk the picture on TW was a much better choice.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X