PDA

View Full Version : Yo-Yo Avanti

JDP
10-29-2008, 08:10 PM
A few years back I bought a 64 R2, 4 speed Avanti project car off ebay for $3500 and had a friend pick it up to part out. On the way back to his house he called to say he wanted to keep the car and restore it because it was much nicer then we expected. He offered $4500, so I figured a bird in the hand made sense.
As it turned out,he got a great deal and I made a profit.He never got time to try and unstick the engine and it just sat in his garage. Well, today I bought it back for $5300, both more then he paid and still less then it's value. ( I hope):) I needed a winter project and the Avanti fits the bill.

JDP/Maryland
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
Thomas Jefferson

silverhawk
10-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Sweet project, can you post some pics?

Dylan
'61 lark regal 4dr wagon
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr200/1961lark/DSC001581.jpg

N8N
10-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Is this Avanti turquoise by any chance?

nate

(give me a heads up if that little red wagon ever becomes available...)

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

JDP
10-29-2008, 10:09 PM
It is turquoise but I have not seen it in a few years. It'll be in my driveway next week.

JDP/Maryland
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
Thomas Jefferson

10-29-2008, 10:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by JDP

It is turquoise but I have not seen it in a few years. It'll be in my driveway next week.

I'm glad you saved it. I was afraid that he had parted it out. If I had known it was a '64 R-2 4-speed when I called you about it, well, I probably wouldn't have called you[}:)].

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine
1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)

JDP
10-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Found one picture.

http://stude.com/sold/63d.jpg

JDP/Maryland
Thomas Jefferson

barnlark
10-30-2008, 12:58 AM
Is that an old Ohio plate on it? How many of those originals were turquoise? There had to be twenty behind me at Lancaster. R2 4speed...very nice winter project, JP.

bams50
10-30-2008, 06:44 AM
More proof that they're still out there! A deal like that could convince me to put an Avanti in the collection[:p]

I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress with it- with pictures![8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

BobPalma
10-30-2008, 07:10 AM

Found one picture.

http://stude.com/sold/63d.jpg

JDP/Maryland

;) Lee DeLaBarre's trailer, John? Looks familiar! :DBP

JDP
10-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Yep,Lee's trailer. I'm nuts to try and save another cheap Avanti, but it's a late 64 RQ 5410. 0Here's more pics.

http://www.stude.com/5410/

JDP/Maryland
Thomas Jefferson

Roscomacaw
10-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Cool!;)

Hey John,

Any idea whatever became of that project Avanti that spent time with me? The one that had lost it's engine to the rebuilders, but had all redone chrome and other goodies? Do you know if it ever got finished?

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

JDP
10-30-2008, 12:59 PM
I have no clue. That was another horror story car. The guy we bought it from stripped down into a 1000 parts. He powder coated most all of it, even the dash bezels and hidden hardware, then lost the engine and quit.

JDP/Maryland
Thomas Jefferson

bige
10-30-2008, 11:03 PM
That car is nicer than what I started with. The interior looks like a good cleaning will bring it to nice driver status. Glad it's in your hands.

ErnieR

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/AvantiR2/track.jpg

JBOYLE
10-31-2008, 11:08 AM
JDP...
Nice car! Love the color...though the Avantis look good in all the factory colors.
Is the headliner original? It looks just like mine, while I've seen other cars with a slightly different texture/pattern.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

JDP
10-31-2008, 11:35 AM
It's the factory cardboard one, not the repro fiberglass.

JDP/Maryland
Thomas Jefferson

bams50
10-31-2008, 05:23 PM
I'd love to have that car, John... if I'm to buy an Avanti, that's just the one I want[8D] I'd also go for that reddish/copper color as well.

Has to be on the money, since that wrecked, rough one sold for $4150 about a week ago[:0]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

geojerry
11-01-2008, 09:40 AM
John. Lee's trailer with the Avanti. I've been searching around for one to pull my 78 II or my 63 GT Hawk with my 21 ft. Motorhome. Open trailers vs closed trailers. Everyone tells me to find a good used Closed trailer as it keeps debris and bad weather from hitting the cars on the highway. What's your opinion ?

Thx, Jerry

JDP
11-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Having never owned a trailer, I have very little experience except to say a open trailer seems fine except for a detailed show car in bad weather.

JDP/Maryland
Thomas Jefferson

BobPalma
11-01-2008, 12:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by geojerry

John. Lee's trailer with the Avanti. I've been searching around for one to pull my 78 II or my 63 GT Hawk with my 21 ft. Motorhome. Open trailers vs closed trailers. Everyone tells me to find a good used Closed trailer as it keeps debris and bad weather from hitting the cars on the highway. What's your opinion ?

Thx, Jerry

:) Jerry: 'Hope you don't mind my butting in, since John hasn't owned a trailer. I've owned an open car trailer 32 years and have trailered hundred of cars and trucks many thousands of miles. (Actually, I've owned three different open trailers. The first two were destroyed, one by a friend to whom I'd loaned it, and one by an errant wrecker driver where the trailer was stored, so I am on my third new trailer with insurance companies other than my own having bought the first two as "totals"...with no claims against my insurance carrier!)

Anyway, if your motor home has the power to pull it, a good used, enclosed trailer may be preferable. New enclosed trailers cost about twice the price of comparable open trailers, but you get the bonus of having another garage (i.e, enclosed storage) when you aren't actually pulling the thing.

OTOH, it takes more power and fuel to pull an enclosed trailer, so if you are just hauling around non-show cars, you can save the initial purchase price (and insurance and fuel costs) by buying an open trailer.

A good case can be made for either design, so you must look at your intended use and power source to see which set of parameters fits you. :DBP

PackardV8
11-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Is the same JDP who is famous for his saying,

"There's nothing so expensive as a cheap Avanti"

??;)

jack vines

PackardV8

JDP
11-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Yes, it is, but who among us could part out a decent, late production, R2, 4 speed ? (RQ5410) Sure, I could make a bigger profit selling it in little pieces, but just can't do it. The engine is now stuck, one hog trough is gone, the other is weak, but it's a 46,000 mile original car with a decent body and interior.
I'm convinced I can still get 7-8K with a little prep. Hopefully I can get it running with and moving at least and the new owner would have a cheap driver. My quote still holds true, better to spend the 25-30K for a done car in the long run but that's not a option for some.

JDP/Maryland
Thomas Jefferson

11-01-2008, 02:27 PM
JDP- That is a great looking car and with your expertise a little clean up and a hog trough or two might be a great daily driver. Maybe the stuck motor is minor. Thanks for the extra pictures. Again what a gem. Regards Mark

barnlark
11-01-2008, 03:14 PM
"A good case can be made for either design, so you must look at your intended use and power source to see which set of parameters fits you." :DBP

It sure is nice to have a trailer of any kind stashed somewhere. The newer lightweight designs afford better fuel economy and if in the market, I would go with the enclosed version, if possible. It's really like buying another car project money-wise, so it's a big commitment either way. Even that thankfully saved Avanti from that winter picture could have had who knows what on the road thrown up into it on an open trailer causing extra damage. It's a luxury to have one, but well worth it, I think. My car had junk all over it from bridge work, etc. just going the 7 hours to Lancaster on a rented open trailer. I would be much more likely to travel to really distant Stude meets if I had any trailer, but an enclosed would be perfect for less worries and be of multi-purpose as you mentioned, BP.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN1253_2.jpg

PackardV8
11-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi, JDP,

Just funnin' with ya.

quote:
Sure, I could make a bigger profit selling it in little pieces, but just can't do it. Completely agree it is our kharma to save as many of the little lost kittens as we can. We have a female friend whose mission in life is dog rescue. I recently saw a poster on a local board for ferret rescue. Perhaps we should print up some for Studebaker Rescue.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

JDP
11-01-2008, 04:31 PM
I know you were ribbing me, but I'm feeling silly for letting my heart overrule my best business sense. :)

JDP/Maryland
Thomas Jefferson

N8N
11-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Then part it out. I bet you could find a buyer for the heads and the blower setup without trying too hard.

nate

(I keed, I keed. I think.)

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

barnlark
11-01-2008, 04:37 PM
"keed" ?

JDP
11-01-2008, 04:42 PM
BTW N8, we're on to pickup a truck load of NOS stuff tomorrow. meet me there at noon, address to come by e-mail. Info to the forum in the afternoon. ( There is a used Golden Hawk blower set up too)

JDP/Maryland
Thomas Jefferson

JDP
11-09-2008, 07:29 PM
OK, I may have to give up on this car, I don't have time to do it right.N8,Jeff and me worked on it this weekend. It turned out to have been parked do to a blown head gasket on the right side. We pulled the head, and after a few hours had the engine spinning over, but it needs one burnt valve ground and the engine really should be bored do to bad pitting in one bore. I could do the valve, put it together and I.m sure it would run, but don't have he motivation right now.
I paid $5300 and would sell it for that since the labor I have in it was mostly volunteer labor, beer drinking and male bonding.
There is no question I could part it out for more, but just can't do it. BTW, the air leaner, bonnet and ignition shielding is in the trunk.

pics here

http://www.stude.com/5410/

JDP/Maryland
Thomas Jefferson

PackardV8
11-09-2008, 08:34 PM
REVOLVER AVANTI -?

PackardV8

JDP
11-09-2008, 08:39 PM
I'll try ebay as is first, then without the supercharger setup for say 4K, then......

JDP/Maryland
Thomas Jefferson

bige
11-09-2008, 09:05 PM
I can't imagine you not getting your money back on ebay. There's a total mess of a burned up R1 on there now that's over 2K.

ErnieR

bams50
11-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Actually Ernie, I thought about that car... I thought if someone wanted to put the effort into parting it out, they could end up with an R1/Poweshift for a net price of a few hundred bucks...... could be a good deal, no?

Parish, central NY 13131

JDP
11-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Bams if a burned out R1 goes for say 3K, then mine will be a killer deal at $5300.[Heck, the blower setup should be worth half that) Someone please buy it, I want to sleep nights by not parting it out, but maybe you can do it.:)

JDP/Maryland
Thomas Jefferson

Bob Langer
11-09-2008, 10:08 PM
John,check your e-mail. I am interested in buying the Avanti.

Bob Langer
Glenshaw,PA

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff143/regnalbob/cropped-1.jpg

bige
11-09-2008, 10:39 PM
I'd be interested to know how many late production R2 4 speeds are out there? I think R2 production in the 64 "model year" was around 280 and I think the thick seat cars started around VIN 5361. Percentage wise I can't imagine that there were many to begin with, I don't remember any at Lancaster. Mine is R5388, thick seat but it's an automatic. The Avanti registry on TheAvanti.com has 3 registered 4 speed thick seat cars.

I think it's an important car to save.

ErnieR

JDP
11-09-2008, 11:01 PM
I wish you had not pointed that out, now it'll really bother me if I can't find someone to save it. :) Ill try fir a few months at least, and only add the ebay fees to what I paid.

JDP/Maryland
Thomas Jefferson

bams50
11-09-2008, 11:13 PM

I want to sleep nights by not parting it out, but maybe you can do it.:)

You still don't know me very well[:I]

The $2100 car on eBay isn't "burnt out", it's exterior damage. The interior and dash appear undamaged and in decent shape; seller says "interior very good, dash pad perfect". He's had the engine running, it's probably a Powershift/ TT rear. It'll be the X frame, and maybe the hog troughs are good... this one would be a great parts car candidate, since it's got just enough damage that I wouldn't feel bad doing so; yours id too good, plus it's an r2 car.

I'm actually thinking about it. If it were a little closer to me, it would help...

Parish, central NY 13131

JDP
11-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Bam's the ebay car might be a good parts car, but the body is burnt.The gel coat is gone and you can see fiberglass strand fuzz on the door picture. Once fiberglass gets that hot, you'll likely need a donor body. The engine drive line and the rest would be worth the 2-3K, but I doubt you could save the body. I tried to save a burnt hood one time. and the fiberglass just won.t come back after being exposed to a fire. Not saying you should not buy it, just be careful.

JDP/Maryland
Thomas Jefferson

bams50
11-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Fair enough; I figured the burnt parts for trash anyway. I'm just trying to decide is what the rest is worth. What's the value of an r1/powershift, assuming it runs OK?

Parish, central NY 13131

JDP
11-10-2008, 12:11 AM
A guy at Reedsville was trying to sell a low mileage Avnti R1 engine, Powershift, radiator, air cleaner and more for 2K. I don't know if he finally sold it.

JDP/Maryland
Thomas Jefferson

bige
11-10-2008, 12:20 AM
It surprises me that you are insecure about this car. Do the burnt valve and seat, clean up the cylinder the best you can and bolt it back together. You've already made $1,000 on it on one flip so using "married car guy" rationale... "technically honey it only cost me $4300". I believe your original target of 7-8K is realistic especially if you get it running.

Granted you can buy a restored car for less but have you seen a #2 late R2 4 speed for sale? Even so, even expensive Avantis need something. There aren't many for sale like your Hawk. If you want an Avanti to restore, R3's notwithstanding, this is THE Avanti to buy. That would be my sales pitch combine it with your reputation and honest disclosure and I'm sure the car will sell.

ErnieR

JDP
11-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Good points all Ernie, I was just bummed out by not getting it running over the weekend. I'll take a deep breath and play with something else for a few weeks.

JDP/Maryland
Thomas Jefferson