PDA

View Full Version : Overdrive opinions needed

fiftystarlightcoupe
10-29-2008, 06:56 PM
My '50 Champion project doesn't have overdrive. Since this ia a non-running car and I have never driven (or owned) any Studebaker before, I was wondering how hard the motor works at 55 or 65 mph. This will be a weekend driver and most likely won't see much highway time. The engine (170) and drivetrain are completely stock now and I would like to keep it that way. I know someone who has a good trans with overdrive for sale. If the advantage of overdrive would be great enough, I would have to strongly think about going that route. I'd appreciate your opinions on this. Thanks.

Flashback
10-29-2008, 07:01 PM
I have owned a 53 coupe with 6 and od
I didn't get much use of the od. If you
are planning to run over 55 for any period
of time however, you better get od. The rear
end ratio is all important also when you
switch to od.

Tex E. Grier
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/Flashback53/Studebaker255.jpg

vegas paul
10-29-2008, 07:12 PM
I switched my 51 Champion trans to an OD trans and it made a world of difference, even in in-town driving. OD is not only for highway use! Try this: In town (with traffic), start in 1st, shift to 2nd, then go to 2nd OD (no shifting!). You can travel normal city speeds like this... if traffic slows down, you just keep it in 2nd and if it picks up again before you have to stop, you're now in 2nd (normal, no OD) and you take off again. This is easier on the shifter, and doesn't interupt the coffee drinking as much!

On the highway, I can easily go 70 without winding out the engine. If your car originally came without OD, then adding OD to your rear end will give you amazing highway performance, since the rear end is different that what probably came on most OD units.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
'51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/vegas_paul/graciestude_edited.jpg

rusty nut garage
10-29-2008, 07:50 PM
You forgot one important detail. You can also (because of the freewheeling) shift from 1st to 2nd without the clutch.
These OD's are great once you have one you'll love it.
Remember to park in reverse or lockout your OD.

Russ

quote:Originally posted by vegas paul

I switched my 51 Champion trans to an OD trans and it made a world of difference, even in in-town driving. OD is not only for highway use! Try this: In town (with traffic), start in 1st, shift to 2nd, then go to 2nd OD (no shifting!). You can travel normal city speeds like this... if traffic slows down, you just keep it in 2nd and if it picks up again before you have to stop, you're now in 2nd (normal, no OD) and you take off again. This is easier on the shifter, and doesn't interupt the coffee drinking as much!

On the highway, I can easily go 70 without winding out the engine. If your car originally came without OD, then adding OD to your rear end will give you amazing highway performance, since the rear end is different that what probably came on most OD units.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
'51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/vegas_paul/graciestude_edited.jpg

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
57 SH (project)
60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Roscomacaw
10-29-2008, 08:04 PM
My Transtar - I drive it without really thinking about it - using the clutch, ease off in 1st, let off the gas and ease the lever into 2nd, accelerate a bit, let off the gas before 30MPH and ease the lever into 3rd, then accelerate and let off the gas to drop into 4th , er, overdrive. No clutchwork required except for the initial take-off! S'cool![^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

PackardV8
10-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Having overdrive make it a completely different car, much more versatile, more pleasant to drive, less noise at cruise AND better fuel economy. Bottom line, I can't imagine why Stude ever built one without overdrive.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

BobGlasscock
10-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Just curious, won't change a thing in the universe. Since reading this forum, I have noticed that any written parking reference for a car with OD always says park in reverse. How come no one just says use the emergency brake? That is what I have done my whole life. Park, pull on the brake. don't tell me why you park in reverse, I know that. I'm just wondering why it seems like no one uses the emergency brake.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff019.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff018.jpg

StudeRich
10-29-2008, 11:38 PM
I think most (at least half) do use the hand brake also, but it will not make any difference if you do not use reverse, and the brake fails, the car is gone!

When parking in the garage or level ground, I would not use the parking brake after a long or high speed drive when drums are warm, because it will warp the rear drums! [:0]

I can't count how many times I have watched someone park a standard shift car, leaving it in NEUTRAL and setting the Parking brake! :( [V] On those step-on Parking brakes on all cars you really don't notice much difference if the adjustment is tight enough to actually HOLD the car on a grade or NOT! :(

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA

Roscomacaw
10-30-2008, 12:33 PM
What no one ever seems to mention is that if you're parked on even a slight incline with the nose of the car pointed UPHILL, you can leave it in a forward gear and it won't roll away. I do this, really, without thinking about it!

If you park with the nose of the car pointing DOWN said incline, then you have to leave it in reverse (or pull the OD handle all the way out).

Sure - parking brake's nice and there's nothing wrong with that approach. But being lazy by nature - and occasionally driving an automatic car, where I just use Park - leaving the thing in gear is easier. Besides - parking brakes have been known to accidentally release. I know of a GT Hawk (a gorgeous example that had 225K on it without an engine overhaul - owned and maintained by a guy who'd been a Stude mechanic) that had it's PB let go and it rolled out in front of a car going down the street (this was out in the country). Amazingly, no one was seriously hurt (this was in the early 70s), but the beautiful Hawk was junk in an instant![V]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

gordr
10-30-2008, 01:12 PM
If I remember right, back when I had driver training at school, we were instructed to set the parking brake and leave the transmission in gear; BOTH. One backstops the other. Even on an automatic, you are supposed to both put it in Park and apply the parking brake.

And with an overdrive car, reverse is the gear of choice for this purpose because selecting reverse automatically locks out the overrunning clutch. Like Biggs says, parking on an upgrade, it shouldn't matter, but that means you have to think about it. These "rules" are meant to be drilled into us so we don't have to "think" about it. And basic rules of safety should be rote-learned, and practiced as habits, rather than as a decision to be made every time a situation arises.

Full disclosure: having said that, I myself don't usually apply the parking brake in my Suburban, unless I'm parking on a hill. I rely on the Park pawl alone. Mostly out of (bad) habit.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands