Carb question - 170ci Champion 6 in a Jeep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb question - 170ci Champion 6 in a Jeep

So...I recently bought a 1946 CJ2A Jeep that at some point had its engine replaced with a 170 inch Studebaker Champion (not sure of the year). I've been slowly working on it, and got to the point of wanting to rebuild the carb. I called up The Carburetor Shop (http://www.thecarburetorshop.com) to get a rebuild kit, and they informed me that my Carter YF carb was an OEM Jeep part, made for a 134 inch 4 cylinder. I hadn't noticed any performance issues with it, but it doesn't make much sense to rebuild that, rather than find the proper carb for this engine.

My question is this: what differences are there between the various models of 170 inch Studebaker engines? Willys used truck carbs on their Jeeps, because those had features like spring loaded needles to keep things running properly on rough, bouncy roads. Did Studebaker do anything like that in their truck carbs? Is there any particular type of carb that would be ideal for a Jeep application, or should I just find the serial number on the engine and get the OEM carb for that particular year?

Also, where might I look for a complete Studebaker carb?

I'm far from a Stude six expert, but my understanding is that the carbs for the earlier flathead motors are preferable to the ones used on the 61 flatheads and later OHV sixes.

HTH

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

46 CJ2A flathead 134 used a wo carter. The YF was used ,if I remember correctly, on later f head 134. The YF was used on many vehicles I know at least into the 70's. I have a 300 ford six with a later version on it. It is a good carb. The only drawback is the accelerator pump is partially vacuum/spring operated.(not sure if this applies to all versions) If pump diaphragm ruptures dumps gas into engine.

Comment

Champion six in passenger cars, except for the very earliest ones, used a Carter WE. They are a good carb, but kind of tall, and might not fit under your Jeep's hood.

Stude pickups with the Champion six used a Carter BBR1, which has a manual choke, and is much shorter in height than the WE. A WE has an automatic choke.

I have several BBR1s, but they are all apart in a box, having been disassembled and glass-beaded. I might be able to round up enough parts to make a complete carb, but you'd need to get a kit.

If the carb you currently have doesn't have any serious problems, getting a rebuild kit for it might actually be your best course.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

ooooo -- "certain pictures of that thing"..... this is getting juicy.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

leyrret - The YF was used in a lot of applications, but the one in my Jeep is stamped "49 938SD", which I believe means a model 938SD made in 1949. That particular model apparently was specifically for the 134.

hotwheels - I'd love to swap photos for a carb, if I have what you're looking for. This Jeep isn't in excellent shape, or all original. If I can't get the details you need, I would shill be happy to buy a carb from you, though. Shoot me an email at imccollu@yahoo.com and let's see what we can do.

Can anyone get a measurement of how tall a Studebaker WE carb is, so I can see if one would fit?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Don,t have truck book handy which lists CJ Jeeps but my old Car book shows #938S-SA as 53-55 model 475 4 cyl Jeep 4x4 wagon. Willy' switched to the f-head in 53 with the CJ-3B. It shows YF on Willys from 50 up but all are progrssive numbers(all are lower than 938 up to 53) A guess is this is a 53-55 CJ carb off a f-head 134. I have no listing for YF before 1950.

Comment

6 and 3/8 inches is the height of a Carter WE-715S.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Bill Cathcart at Cathcart Studebaker in Connecticutt is THE MAN who knows everything there is to know about Champion engines, their original carburetors, and replacement options. His number is (860) 564-5852.
                  My 1950 flathead Champion engine has a Carter WE 715S but, as mentioned, that may be too tall for your application.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
                  Holdrege NE
                  John
                  1950 Champion
                  W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                  Holdrege NE

Comment

Working...
                  X