Another engine ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another engine ID

I have never really figured out what year my Champion 6 engine is. I know it's a transplant, so the fact that my car is 1951 doesn't mean anything.

Can anyone make sense of this?

Is the first character a "C" stamped backwards, meaning Canada? If the remainder is, 61972 then that would indicate a 55 185 c.i., and I've always assumed it was a 170.

The pictures are as clear a s the "in person" view... I really can't make out any more. What other features would distinguish the difference between a 170 and 185?

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

I would guess this is a made-up number that only has meaning to the garage that stamped it. They were supposed to stamp the original engine number in that spot. Find the block casting number down near the distributor. 524807 is a circa 1950-54 170 block, 533870 is a 1955-58 185.

Dwain G.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Dwain thanks for that Tid bit. Two things here, Paul your pic came up as an X, Dwain can you confirm if you see his picture.

Next, Maybe a question for both of you. On the flat spot, on the right top front of the engine is where the code "should" be. Is this boss area that can be seen with the Head on? Only reason I'm asking is because I have a 47 car but that area is completely blank. Next the stamping on my lower block indicates 524807-13. Which I was told is a useless number, but it seems there is some indication that it is helpful in understanding what engine it is. With that said than one could assume I too have a replacement engine in the car and from a much later model. Thanks for posting this question and Dwain thanks for answering.

Comment

From the driver's seat, the pad shown in the above images is on the left side of the engine. If your pad there is blank, yes, it may well be a replacement engine. I had one in my 60 lark that came empty from Newman/Altman in the 70s.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        (Under Construction 528 hrs.)
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

The pictures above are from the pad on the driver's side... where the engine # is supposed to be! I just can't read it well. I don't believe that this is a "replacement" engine (replaced by Studebaker), but it is NOT the original to the car. I know the pictures are hard to see, but even thoughI can almost read the #'s, they don't make sense. C (backwards?)61972 or maybe something else, since it looks like the number stamps were not perpendicular to the pad when stamped.

Edit: I'll try to check the casting # tonight.

Comment

Ok this one got my curiosity going. I'm the not a flat head 6 guy buy any stretch of imagination. With that said, I was looking at the very clear pic of the numbers. I think Dwain has a good point on this one. The number means something to who ever stamped it at the garage. I saved the pic to my computer than zoomed in on it. The c backwards looks like a 0 to me. Its a little off because the edge closes too much to be a c. The next digit looks like an 8 because the larger circle on the bottom & the top loop almost reaches the bottom circle. And usually the 6 & 9's are used universally reversed. It looks like it was stamped after it was installed in the car with limited space. The number looks to me, 08 1972 Maybe the month & year installed. Just a thought.

Gordon

Comment

Tim,
              If you right click on the red X, a box will open from which you can select 'show picture'. Sometimes that works. It might help to hold the 'ctrl' button down while you do that.
              It surprises me how many people treat casting and date numbers with such disdain. Of course casting numbers are not a positive identification, but even an engine serial number only really tells you what the engine was like when it left the factory. Occasionally you find an engine that has been bored, stroked, has a different cam and valve gear, shaved heads, etc. Meanwhile, I'll happily continue to collect and identify all the casting numbers I find.
              When the factory came out with a new block casting, they certainly didn't continue casting the previous blocks for replacement engines. They sold their newest engines as service replacements for older vehicles. This really gets confusing from 1955 on when the the main bearings were increased in size and the basic block was made taller to allow a longer stroke.

Dwain G.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Dwain - I finally got a chance to look for the casting #'s. To the lower left of the distributor appears: 1548965-2 in pretty big (1/2" tall) casting numbers. Also, above the distributor is a plate that is attached, not cast, with numbers that I haven't been able to decipher yet. It appears that I have a 1959 engine... No wonder the extra (undented) oil pan I have won't fit!

Comment

Working...
                X