Ute needs clutch linkage part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ute needs clutch linkage part

Probably one of the many "gotchas" I'll encounter during the assembly process of the Ute.

I thought I had rounded up all the clutch linkage parts, but ran into two problems.

The trans is not drilled and tapped for the bolts that would either mount the trans in a car that didn't mount off the bell housing, or (for our Studes) would mount the bracket that holds the clutch operating cross shaft. I've not seen one like this, but there must have been SOME Studebaker application that did not need these holes drilled and tapped

I figured I would drill and tap those holes once the engine and trans were installed so I could mock up the clutch linkage in position to insure I got the holes in the right location.

The second problem is that the bracket that bolts to the trans and holds the cross shaft is too short from where it bolts to the trans to where the ball socket for the cross shaft fits into it. I'm guessing I got one for a sedan and need one for a C/K...

Bottom line is that I need the correct cross shaft bracket (I BELIEVE that is all I need, but I've been wrong before...three times already today [:0] [B)])

Does anybody have one for sale?

Thanks

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

There are two shown on this page from the SI catalog...
    (Item number 11)
    Hope the info helps.
    Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

[navy][b]There are two shown on this page from the SI catalog...
      (Item number 11)
      Hope the info helps.

Unfortunately they don't list for Commander C/K

I have a feeling any bracket from a 53-64 V8, 3 speed, C/K will work.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

too short right to left, as in stretching from the frame to the bell housing?

Or too short in height, as in up and down where those rivets are?

(thinking one could be fabricated)
        Neither.

Too short front to rear. The distance from the mounting point on the transmission to the hole where the ball stud mounts to hold the cross shaft needs to be greater than the one I have.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

I'd consider knocking out those rivets then
          I guess that could be done. The kicker is that the metal between the rivets is spring steel. I think it's designed this way to put some tension on the ball stud to hold it into the cross shaft. I could make a longer piece to replace the one that is there if I could find some spring steel of the same gauge.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Heck,I can take the one off the '53 I advertised a few days ago.
            It's a 3 spd o.d. car.
            Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bob40

Heck,I can take the one off the '53 I advertised a few days ago.
              It's a 3 spd o.d. car.
              Bob,
              I just checked the parts manual and may have spoke too soon about '53-64 working. It looks like '54-64 are probably the same, but '53 is different. I'll send you a PM with the differences. I think I can make it work, but it will take a few more pieces of the unique '53 clutch linkage to do it.

Thanks!

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick , I ran into this problem when I did a switch on my truck and what i did was cut and weld more plate on the part that bolts onto the tranny . I put all the likage on the frame side and figured out what I needed for plate by using cardboard then traced itout on similar thickness steel then welded it to the original part. Drilled 2 slot holes so I could adjust it and its on and been fine for some 15,000 miles .
                You have to improvise when you can't get those parts anymore thats for sure
                By the way , I also had to drill my tranny to mount thats bracket.

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato
                "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
                1964 Daytona HT
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 2R5

Dick , I ran into this problem when I did a switch on my truck and what i did was cut and weld more plate on the part that bolts onto the tranny . I put all the likage on the frame side and figured out what I needed for plate by using cardboard then traced itout on similar thickness steel then welded it to the original part. Drilled 2 slot holes so I could adjust it and its on and been fine for some 15,000 miles .
                  You have to improvise when you can't get those parts anymore thats for sure
                  By the way , I also had to drill my tranny to mount thats bracket.
                  Thanks, Bob. I can visualize doing this. Good description. If I can't find some pieces that will work, that's exactly what I will do.

Thanks.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

If you'd like I can take a pic of mine ...looks like the exact same bracket as you have there

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ
                    1964 Daytona HT
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                    X