Anyone remember this SoCal racer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone remember this SoCal racer?

Seller says this '53C was once raced at Santa Ana by Baker Automotive in Paramount:

Anyone remember this car from back in the day?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

I do not, but it looks Sad! it looks like it has become a PLANTER now, without a frame.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

Seller says this '53C was once raced at Santa Ana by Baker Automotive in Paramount:

Anyone remember this car from back in the day?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County
      Anybody live close by, it would be interesting to see some original pics and some history. Hoods are probably from fiber fab. 15 years ago at Santa Anna, no way. Orange County Raceway maybe. If i remember right Santa Anna Closed in 1959. You can still get a one piece front for this bad boy. Would make a great Bonnie clone.

Baker Automotive
      7931 Pearle St
      Paramount, CA 90723 Map

(

Comment

OCIR closed in 1983. The only time I was able to go was the last night they were open, & what a night that was! My 2 kids were 13 & 9 then. The 13 yr old gave me guff all that night, until Shirley Muldowney came to the line with her pink dragster. I never saw anyone change so much in the blink of an eye, she became a gearhead & remains one to this day. I had missed the closing of Lion's Drag Strip in Long Beach by 2 months since it had closed before I moved to California, so I wasnt going to let that happen again! It was a great night, a fitting so long to a brief part of Southern California history.

60 Lark convertible
        61 Champ
        62 Daytona convertible
        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2)
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Baker Automotive is still in business today. They built a number of 500 CI cad engine Studes, one for the Country Butcher(Bob)who had a store on Paramont Blvd. he had a 1913 Ford Helms bread truck on display in the store. They are right across from Cal Areo Supply in Paramount. I can see in the photos Baker Auto on the pass. side door. I probably have some pics. of the car in action. Will post if I can find.

Comment

I noticed the driver was Larry Hale, so I Googled that and came up with some pix of a Larry Hale driving a white over dark green Lark. Apparently Larry is the "reigning champ" in PRO class at Firebird Raceway in Phoenix. Same guy?

Chris Pile
            Midway Chapter SDC
            The Studebaker Special
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

I noticed the driver was Larry Hale, so I Googled that and came up with some pix of a Larry Hale driving a white over dark green Lark. Apparently Larry is the "reigning champ" in PRO class at Firebird Raceway in Phoenix. Same guy?

Chris Pile
              Midway Chapter SDC
              The Studebaker Special
              Now that bad boy is my kind of Studebaker, seems Larry has a penchant for racing studes. Larry are you out there give us a history story and some pictures.

Comment

Working...
              X