Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carter WE 715S Carb. vac. piston

Hi guys
    I was adjusting the float on my 1950 Champion Carter Carburetor today. Somehow, I lost the little vacuum piston that regulates the metering rod. Does anyone know where I can get that part? Does it come in a rebuild kit? Help!

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
    Holdrege NE
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

I was able to get a metering rod for my W-E-Carter from Cathcart Studebaker. Give him a call, he might have what you are looking for. His number is 860-564-=5852. Good Luck!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Just to finish this topic: I called Mr. Cathcart. The part isn't included in a rebuild kit, but he had one in a box of miscellaneous parts. It is now on its way to my house for a VERY reasonable price.
      I suspect that there aren't very many people out there who would have a "Carter WE 715 S metering rod vacuum piston" on hand, much less be able to identify one on sight in a box of mixed parts! Studebaker vendors are the greatest! Thanks so much, Mr. Cathcart, for being there when I needed you!

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
      Holdrege NE
      John
      1950 Champion
      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
      Holdrege NE

Comment

Glad to hear things worked out for you! Mr. Cathcart has been a lifesaver for me on more than one occasion.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

I assume this is the same part. I was rebuilding mine and when I went to re-attach the piston, I couldn't get it on. When I tried to "twist" it in place like a manual I have said, it snapped the connecting pin off. Is there any way to fix this or do I need to shop for one as well?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3281[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1705227
          1950 Studebaker Champion 4 Door Sedan

Comment

It appears that MAYBE you could drive out the remains and press in a New piece of Rod or a Pin, maybe a Brass one to save it. Sometimes you never know till you try!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That looks like the vacuum piston. Its been a looong time since I started this thread! I think that Mr. Cathcart is fully retired now. As Rich said, you might be able to drill out that rod and replace it. Otherwise, you might have to buy a used carb to get the parts, unless this part is common to other Carter WE series carburetors. As stated in my earlier post, the part isn't included in rebuild kits.
              John
              1950 Champion
              W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
              Holdrege NE

Comment

I was able to find some brass pinch rings at Lowe's and cut off a pin to size, flare it with a punch, and (since I didn't have a welder handy) JB Weld a small dot on the back side. Worked out well. She still needs more love, but she is slowly coming around. Only had and worked on her for a week now. She sat since '73. I love her though.

Name:	IMG_3282.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1705273Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3283.jpg
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1705274Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3288.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1705275Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3310.jpg
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1705272
                1950 Studebaker Champion 4 Door Sedan

Comment

Not at all familiar with these but have found Mikes as a great source for old carter stuff I see he has some metering rods may have vac pistons. http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Carter_c_18.html

Comment

Name:	Carter Piston & Pin.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1705281

This might be your lucky day. Several years ago I bought a very nice metal cabinet full of NOS Carter Carburetor parts. A few years later I decided to sell it at an antique car show flea market and a guy came along who was willing to pay my asking price, but he only wanted the cabinet and not the parts. Unfortunately in the scramble to empty the cabinet the part numbers became separated from the parts, so don't know for sure what these Carter pistons fit. They all appear to be identical and I suspect like most companies of the day many of their parts fit several different carburetors and makes and models of cars. Please look these over and if you think it might work for you I'll drop one in the mail to you and only ask that you cover the shipping cost. Send a PM with your name and address.
                    Last edited by dpson; 05-09-2016, 12:31 PM.
                    Dan Peterson
                    Montpelier, VT
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Working...
                    X