Carb flooding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb flooding

Recently I have been having carburetor problems and I could use some help figuring out the solution. The carb is a Stromberg 2 barrel on a 259. I have owned the car for several years and the carb worked fine until this summer. The engine began to stall when at idle with the engine warm on occasion. It was possible to re-start the engine and keep driving. Upon examination I noticed there was leakage at the throttle shaft, and gas was dripping onto the intake manifold.

I took the carb off and sent it out for a thorough rebuild. I have rebuilt carbs before, and I considered doing it myself, but I did not have the time and wanted to get it done quickly, so I sent it out. A couple of weeks later I got the carb back and put it on the car.

I started the engine with the rebuilt carb, and it ran great for a few seconds, and then gas started to pour from the top, from where the linkage enters the accelerator pump. I called the rebuilder, who is well known on this board, and he has been very helpful. He suggested that dirt might be lodged in the inlet needle valve, causing the gas to flood the carb. He recommended that I clamp off the fuel supply before the fuel pump, start the engine and let it run to flush the dirt out. So I clamped the fuel supply, started it up and the engine idled nicely for 5 or 10 seconds before stalling. While the car was idling no gas leaked from the carb. I unclamped the fuel supply, started the car up, and 5 seconds later the gas started to pour from the top again. So, I repeated the steps again, but I still have the problem of gas leaking. When I unclamp the fuel supply the gas pours out the top.

The gas tank was replaced about 7 years ago. I doubt that there could be that much dirt in the system that it keeps clogging the needle valve, but I guess it is possible. I have considered running a fuel line to a known clean supply of gas, like a portable gas can, and try again.

I have called the rebuilder again for further guidance, but he is out now. So, I thought I would see if anyone here has any suggestions.

Jeff

Have you been running a clear-view fuel filter, so that you know that you have no line or tank contamination?

If you really want to find out, it is very easy to replace the short flex hose at the fuel pump input with a longer one going to the ground into a one gallon gas can.

You could be experiencing excess fuel pressure! A swelled diaphragm in the pump or bad valve in pump will cause this.
    A pressure regulator is only a stop gap method, but would tell you something, a new fuel pump may be in order. If you have an original Carter with a filter built-in, rebuild it. If it is one of those AC copy Airtex type without a filter, just get another, and seal the oil leaking actuating lever pin first.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

As a side point, I have one of those fuel filters that you can take apart & clean out before the fuel pump & the finer metal filter between the pump & carb so that if any junk comes out of the tank the first, one catches the major stuff that may damage the pump & the other one protects the carb.

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Rich, I thought it might be excessive fuel pressure too. I talked to the rebuilder again, and he thinks it is either contamination in the inlet needle valve, or a leaky float that has filled up with fuel. But, he mostly suspects contaminiation.

Warren, that sounds like a good set up that you have with the fuel filters. I am not sure which fuel pump I have. I do not have a fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb, but I think I will add one.

Jeff

Comment

I sent the carb back to the rebuilder. He took it apart and found a bad float. It has been repaired and is being sent back to me. Hopefully when I put it back on it will be good to go.

Jeff

Comment

I'm having the same problem on my 55 commander. It started when I replaced the fuel pump last weekend. I pulled it apart last night and cleaned everything out and adjusted the float. It ran fine last night. Accelerated nicely and idled no problem. Went to crank it tonight and immediately had gas just pouring out the top of the accelator pump (I think).

Comment

Often the wire that holds the float pin is inadvertently left out. It is critical as it holds the float pivot so th float can sat against the inlet needle. Without the retainer wire, the float will "float" up off the pivot point, unseat from the needle, and flood.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
              X