They're still out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They're still out there

Last week I got a call from a man in Western Maryland. He was a non-Studebaker guy looking at a '62 Studebaker that was for sale near him. He wanted to know if it was worth getting, what about parts and so on. He also wanted to know what the two "T"s in two circles on the back panel meant. I asked him what the model was and he said Daytona. I asked hardtop or convertible- he said hardtop. He wanted to know if the gear shift on the floor was right (I assured him it was probably a four-speed if it didn't look like an add-on). I asked him if the engine had a two or four barrel carb- answer was four. In discussing it more, he said it had been sitting in an open garage (carport?) for a number of years and the paint was poor and the interior was bad. When I asked about miles he said about 50,000, and rust, he said there was some on the back edges of the front fenders, but none other.
    I referred him to a local SDRer who could help him with a better eyeball appraisal (the local guy had never heard of the car though it was with 15 miles of his location.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine
    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Sounds interesting Paul and desirable - a Daytona Hardtop with Twin Traction, hope it turns out OK.

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
    Lockleys South Australia
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

You bet! I've always said there's tons of desirable cars out there just waiting to be discovered- how about the 4dr. 62 Skytop, sitting unknown for 20 years, and recently found?[^]

I'm still saving a spot in my garage for my Super Lark that I'm certain is waiting for me in a yet-to-be-discovered barn[]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Pau;, we all know they are still around hiding in the most unlikely places and waiting to be discovered. I currently am chasing a 63 Wagonaire R-1 which has been sitting in a building since 1973. Condition is just about the same as this one. Sure hope he rescues it and becomes a Stude nut like the rest of us.
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

First post!

Pops and I bought a 63 Cruiser from a local guy, the clock showed 1729 miles, It had been sittin under an awning for 40 years or so.

I thought that it had 101729 miles or more, but after a closer look I feel that the car has mileage shown on the clock. Body is rough but fixable. It still had the original front tires on it, has the orginal exhaust complete with the aluminized muffler. Heat riser spring still springs and the brake shoes are still not fully seated.

Theres a few pics here: http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/f...nman/?start=40 and a couple more onthe next page.

Yes they are still out there!

http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Tinman, thats not rough,,thats a dream compared to some of the stuff that I have seen. Looks great. Take good car of her.

Comment

Tinman, welcome to the forum. Looking at all the photos of that Cruiser, your first guess of 101729 is closer to the truth. Still, it's certainly worth saving.
              I'm working with a Cruiser that I just won at an auction a few weeks ago. There's no rust to speak of on this one, but of course, it racked up all of it's 76,000 miles in Arizona and SoCal. At that, it's got grunge on it's undersides about equal to what your's has. Way less rust tho.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Don't take this as me being cynical or anything, and i'm not trying to offend anyone.

I have never seen a car of any kind make it over 100,000 miles with all of the original components intact. The only non-Studebaker part I found on the car was the passenger rear shock. All other components of the car are (were, new shocks tires and such) as installed by the factory. Points, condenser, cap, rotor, voltage regulator, add nausium.

When changing the valve stem seals I found assembly lube on the head studs. Its the same grey stuff found in the lifter valley. My assumption is it is used to fill all the low spots between the lifters to keep the oil from pooling.

Back on topic, this is a fun little car! 3.73 twin trac, od trans, likes to run 80! Not sure that last part is a good thing.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Da Tinman

When changing the valve stem seals I found assembly lube on the head studs. Its the same grey stuff found in the lifter valley. My assumption is it is used to fill all the low spots between the lifters to keep the oil from pooling.
                  I hope it is a low mileage Stude...that would be cool [8D]. The "gray stuff" generally found in engines that haven't run in a while is water (from condensation) mixed with oil. If it is the same stuff I have seen in a lot of old engines, it is probably not assembly lube).

BTW, here are a few pics of the 14,000 mile '62 I owned a while back...

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Big difference in storage, wish ours was stored inside!,, then again if it was stored inside we would not have been able to afford it.

The grey stuff does not mix with oil, gas disolves it and oil sits on top of it, and runs off.

It is very dense as well, like peanut butter in consistency. Sticky too. I honestly have never seen anything like it. I do know what water and oil mixed is like and this isnt it. Any ideas?

Comment

Looks Nice Dick, Hope to have Studebelle looking like that again next year, funds permitting.

John Clements
                      Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                      Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
                      Lockleys South Australia
                      John Clements
                      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Sounds to me like the gray grunge that settles in the lifter valley and the oil pan in high-mileage engines. It's a mixture of bearing material and metal wear from the internals. Almost like metal mud - thick metal mud.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I think everybody's got the "goo" identified. Not a big deal; you'll find it is gas-soluable- just not as is. Go to work with a scraper and clean out all you can; then gas or parts cleaner and a stiff brush should clean it up nicely.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

You can bet the oil pan has plenty of it down there, too.

Comment

Working...
                            X